New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP service keeps failing when data collection job is run

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

SNMP service keeps failing when data collection job is run

Windows 2008 SP2 x64 Standard
ProLiant DL380 G6
HP SIM C.05.02.02.00

Whenever I run a data collection job on a DL380 G6 running Windows 2008 x64 it kills the SNMP service on the target machine and I get this message CMS server:

[SNMP] This system failed to respond to SNMP in the timeout interval.
Root Cause: The system is no longer running SNMP, or the agent is responding more slowly than the timeout value set for the system.
Corrective Action: Check network and configuration of target system. Try adjusting the SNMP timeout value for the system in the System Protocol Settings page. Verify the SNMP read community has not changed. Rerun Data Collection.

Data collection on this system was aborted due to a timeout or it was abruptly stopped. Data may be incomplete.
Root Cause: Data collection on the target system has taken longer than allowed. This can be due to network connectivity issues, a busy target system, or timeout values set too low.
Corrective Action: Check network and configuration of target system. Check the following settings (and adjust values as needed) using mxglobalsettings: Detached_DC_Timeout, Storage_DC_Timeout, DC_Abandon_Latency (all in seconds)

ABANDON ALL HOPE!!!

I have tried setting the SNMP scan in SIM to 60 seconds and 3 retries before a timeout - no success.

Now I read that only HP SIM 5.3 supports the DL380 G6 model - but is that because of this SNMP problem? Or is there some other reason it is not supported. I cannot upgrade to 5.3 because it requires SQL 2005 and I am still on SQL 2000. I cannot upgrade to SQL 2005 because MS did a number on DTS jobs I use with SQL and I cannot convert my DTS jobs over to the new SSIS (which is a freaking nightmare to figure out if you are not a developer).

Anyone know if SNMP is what of the problems associated with not using SIM 5.3 with DL380 G6 models.

Nelson
8 REPLIES 8
Jarrod Kline
Advisor

Nelson, I am having the same problem wiht snmp on all G6's. HP says that the next PSP 8.30 will have the fix (no ETA). In the interim you can use the WBEM providers rather than snmp.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

HP just released a new version of the Management Agents. However, nothing about SNMP service is mentioned. Anyone know if this is fixed with version, just not listed in the "fixes" section?

Nelson
Joel Keith Rudder

Update...I have installed PSP8.3 on DL380 G6's/BL460 G6's running Win2k3 SP2 64bit. From SIM 5.1, I can "make" SNMP fail on the client by running a data collection from SIM. I am still testing but this does not happen on other classes of systems running the same image and PSP level. Is there some incompatibility w/the older version of SIM and G6's using SNMP? WBEM is not an option as my customer uses SNMP w/MOM in a very large environment and does not wish to accomodate our problem by switching. Thanks in advance.

Keith--HP
Joel Keith Rudder

OK...I've tested a BL460 G6 running Win2k3 64bit SP2 with PSP 8.30 in our local lab using both SIM 5.2 and SIM 5.3. With SIM 5.2, when you run a data collection the SNMP service dies every time. With SIM 5.3 it does not. I've requested a hotfix or something along those lines that will allow 5.2 to work w/the G6. I will post how it goes.

Keith
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks for following up on this problem. I glad to see I am not the only one having this problem.

Nelson
Gabrio Barbieri
Occasional Advisor

This is not actually a SIM problem, SIM is just the trigger but the real issue is on the SNMP agents on the client side. This will be fixed with PSP 8.4, if I'm not mistaken. It is SIM version independent, will only happen on G6 servers. I'd recommend to open a case with HP support if you encounter these issues prior to the release of PSP 8.4
"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Spock
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks
Nelson