1753798 Members
7831 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP traps to external application

Andrew McCandless

SNMP traps to external application

Hi Everyone,
Hopefully quite a simple question. I'm trying to get HP servers to send SNMP traps upon hardware failure to an external application. From reading about SIM, it seems I have to set up SIM agents on each server, than have a SIM server poll each server. Is this correct or have I totally misunderstood how the system is set up?

Is there an HP application that can installed on each server that will send SNMP traps directly to a monitoring system? I've been reading on the HP website but it doesn't give many clues!

Thanks for any assistance.
4 REPLIES 4
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

the insight management agents on each system are autonomous, hp sim is a central management server that can be used for reporting,event alerting and software deployment among other things. hp sim polls servers as a basic availability check, events on the servers are detected and sent by the agents to hp sim , snmp destinations are configurable in the agents. obviously any other management application would need to understand the traps sent by the insight agents

hth

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

BTW if you already have hp sim it can be set up to forward events from it's managed servers to another management application.

fwiw

Andrew McCandless

Thanks for the answer, that's cleared that up greatly. Sorry to take up your time.
Andrew McCandless

Thanks