Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752794 Members
6275 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Suspend Monitoring for all VMware ESXi host Associations (VMs)

commtech
Occasional Advisor

Suspend Monitoring for all VMware ESXi host Associations (VMs)

Hello All,

Is there any smart way to suspend monitoring for all VMware ESXi host Associations (VMs)?

We have some part of ESXi hosts that are used in VDI Environment (Client Desktop VMs) therfore monitoring is arranged by Central VDI Management Tool and is not needed by HP SIM.

We considered disable "Automatically discover VM guest(s) when the host is identified" option for group of hosts but can not find possibility to do that per VMware host. It is possible only as General Settings for All Discoveries. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For the sake of completeness we use HP SIM 7.3 with latest updates.

5 REPLIES 5
commtech
Occasional Advisor

Finally I found in my HP SIM version 7.3 how to enable /disable "Automatic discovery of VM Guest(s)" per ESXi host ( not only globally)

Choose particular VMware ESXi host and then click on Tools & Links -> Configure Automatic Discovery Settings of VM Guest(s)

Automatic discovery settings of VM Guest(s) can be enabled/disabled on this VM Host.

check/uncheck  the following option:

Automatically discover VM Guest(s) when this host is identified

commtech
Occasional Advisor

Now I am looking for solution how to set/modify via script option "Automatically discover VM Guest(s) when this host is identified".

Unfortunately I can not find appropriate syntax for xml file used for mxnode command.

Does anybody know how to enable/disable Automatically discover VM Guest(s) when this host is identified" Virtual Host (for example VMware ESXi host) option via command line?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Why dont you disable this option in the GUI this should also work in the CLI. So in the webinterface Options Discovery, Configure general settings and clear the Automatically discover VM guest(s) when the host is identified. option. I never have virtual server in SIm i don't see the need for them.

Kind regards,

Andrew
commtech
Occasional Advisor

The preliminary idea is to have one group of VMware ESXi hosts that is responsible for VDI Environment with disabled option "Automatically discover VM Guest(s) when this host is identified"

For second group it would be handy to enable mentioned option to make sure that newly created VMs have been properly discovered in HP SIM.  I am not sure when Associated VM Guest(s) list is updated. My assumption is that during re-identification process.

To automate per Virtual Host configuration for large number of VMware ESXi hosts I am looking for command line to make our live easier.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Suspend Monitoring for all VMware ESXi host Associations (VMs)coul

Could you solve this with by scanning specific ranges to discover the VMs and disable the discover vm when datacollecting the ESX server? 

Kind regards,

Andrew