1753413 Members
7149 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TRU64 HPSIM Events

Marius Wilberg
Occasional Advisor

TRU64 HPSIM Events

I am running HPSIM 5.3 on a Windows server and have added a couple TRU64 Machines, some Red Hat Linux machines and a few Windows machines.

I installed the CPQIM370 package on all the TRU64 Machines and configured the /etc/snmpd.conf to reflect the snmp community, and to direct traps to the HPSIM server.

I decided to do some testing to see if I would get some actual SNMP traps so I went down and pulled out one of the redundant power cords - which in my view should have resulted in a "critical" lamp flashing in HPSIM. Instead I get nothing....

Well not exactly true - if I go looking under Events for the particular server I get an "Event Details: (SNMP) Event has occurred (6060)" message. Which basically is an informational event

Though when I look at the trap details I find the following info:

This value specifies the severity of the event log entry. A caution or critical entry can have it``s severity lowered by setting this variable to the repaired state. critical

Why does it show as informational then? Is the problem with my HPSIM setup - or with the traps generated from TRU64?

A text description of the event log entry. vmunix: - Power Supply 0 failed

Mib Information
The associated MIB File Name for this trap is cpqhlth.mib and the MIB identifier CPQHLTH-MIB

Doing the same thing on one of my Linux boxes gives 1 Critical + 1 Major Event...
8 REPLIES 8
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

have a look at the section titled 'Monitoring the System├в s Environmental Health' in the user guide and see if it helps :-

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/cma/docs/eng/Tru64IMAv37.pdf

hth

Marius Wilberg
Occasional Advisor

Well to be honest I gave 4 points because of the speedy reply and the fact that I hadnt actually looked at this before.

But it didnt really solve my problem - the traps still appear as informational in HPSIM...

If you have any other ideas please feel free to toss them my way, Im sure this thing is solvable, though Im not entirely sure where Ive gone wrong...

I will paste a copy of my snmpd.conf too to see if you can spot any obvious errors with it - but since the traps DO appear in HPSIM I dont really think thats where my problem is...

sysName x
sysLocation x
sysContact x

snmpEnableAuthenTraps 1

community local 127.0.0.1 write
community insight x.x.x.x write
community nimbus x.x.x.x write

trap insight x.x.x.x
trap nimbus x.x.x.x:1162

-Marius
Marius Wilberg
Occasional Advisor

As far as I can tell - all traps from our TRU64 machines appear as:

cpqHeEventOccurred

(SNMP)Event has occurred (6060)

An event has occurred. User Action: None.

Even though the actual trap says something completely different...

The machines are all running TRU64 5.1B with varying patch kits - mostly patch kit 4.

-Marius
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

what entries do you have in the /var/opt/CPQIMddd/web/im/webagent/webagent.ini file ?
obvious stuff but got to ask - all the cpq* daemons running ? checked the /usr/var/adm/syslog.dated/date/daemon.log ?

fwiw

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

...and personally have always set sim community as read write

fwiw

Marius Wilberg
Occasional Advisor

I looked for the webagent.ini file yesterday, and as far as Im able to tell there is no such file.

Im not sure if thats because of the version of the software Im running or what, but there is no such file on any of my machines.

As for the cpq daemons, they all seem to be running and there are no messages of note in any of the daemon.log files.

# Community specification.
#
# The format for a community is:
# community
#
# o community_name may be any string.
# o IP_address indicates the remote site for which this
# community is valid. If the IP address is 0.0.0.0, any
# address may communicate using that community name.
# o privileges may be one of:
# 'read' for read only
# 'write' for read/write
# o If a community name appears more than once, the first
# match will be chosen.
#
community local 127.0.0.1 write
community insight 150.106.15.6 write
community nimbus 150.106.15.6 write

Thought this meant I had set it to read/write? I can use the System Management Homepage - log in to the server and use the CPQACUXE tool from there, I can clear log entries or mark them repaired - and as far as I can tell the machines do send traps to the right communities, though they all seem to be informational... or atleast HPSIM and NIMBUS treat them as informational...
Marius Wilberg
Occasional Advisor

It seems the problem was easier to solve than most - I checked the mibs that the CPQIM370 installation package had installed and noticed they were all in the SNMP v2 format.

So it turns out all I had to do was set the traps to use SNMP v2c in /etc/snmpd.conf file and restart the daemons - and now we get 6050 power supply failed traps instead of the informational traps we used to get.

new settings:

trap v2c insight x.x.x.x
trap v2c nimbus x.x.x.x

The trap also appears in Nimbus now as a Critical error.

So - if anyone else is having similar problems I think this might be worth a try.

cheers.

-Marius
Marius Wilberg
Occasional Advisor

Actually that was not the problem - I have made it work on one of my machines - but as of now I have no clue how I made it work!! HELP!! :D