New Discussion

Re: VMM License managing in HP SIM 6.3

SOLVED
Go to solution
JAIF
Occasional Contributor

VMM License managing in HP SIM 6.3

Hello,

I recently found a problem while registering our ESXi hosts to work with VMM in HP SIM 6.3

We had some old ESX 3.5 servers registered with VMM, but now we changed to some new machines running ESXi 4.1 . The problem is, I can´t find now how to change the existing licenses to the new host.

The logical place would be:

Deploy -> License Manager -> choose Virtual Machine Management

But when I do that I can just:

- See licensed hosts ( I can see here the old hosts )

- Add licenses ( I have no free codes )

- Manage licenses. When I select a license, instead of being able to modify it, I get:

To continue to license, a new license must be selected.
Cause: There are no available seats with this selection.
Resolution: Select a license with seats available.

¿Does anyone know how to proceed to migrate the licenses to the new hosts? It would be enough if I were able to delete the existing ones to add them again later.

Best regards.

2 REPLIES 2
MariusGillesen
Advisor
Solution

VMM license is linked to a specific server (Serial NR). If you change the server, you have to buy a new license for the new server.

The only alternative I could think of is if you by accident added the licenses to the wrong server a fresh reinstall of Insight Control will accept the licenses again and you are free to assign them to the server you want. This is not an option for larger Insight Control installations as the time to set everything up again will be greater then the cost of new licenses. And it's probably not allowed by the license agreement.

Regards,
Marius G
JAIF
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for your help!

Sadly I don´t think we will buy more licenses for VMM :(