3873 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: About UPSes

zw_2
Occasional Contributor

About UPSes

Hello,

We have a little problem with UPS HP X3000 XL.

This UPS is attached to HP server. On the server is installed and configured HP RACK and power manager (v. 1.1). Server and UPS are attached to LAN. Server has static IP 192.168.0.1. In the LAN are workstations too,
which obtain their IP addresses from DHCP server with reserved by MAC IP addresses.
So, earlier, when we do not have UPS, all was OK, but when we started this UPS, one workstation started showing alert thet dublicated IP address exist on network. I think,that this UPS takes to him this IP.
I try to assign unique IP but this not help because I think UPS have this static IP somewhere hardly coded.
So now this UPS instantly conflicting with workstation on LAN and I must take it offline and now I have no protection again power failures.

Waiting for help.

ZW
6 REPLIES 6
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
I have recently configured a %5500XL which I think uses the same SNMP network card.

What you need to do is connect to the UPS serial port using the supplied 9-pin cable and use a terminal emulator on a laptop to get connected at 9600 bpm 8/none/1. You don't need to login, just hit return a few times
At the "%" prompt
IP
NM
DG
# I think
BR 0 # set bootp retries to 0
ID
SA
# to save config

HTH
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
zw_2
Occasional Contributor

Nice idea

But I cannot connect to UPS in such way. Hyperterminal says 'connected' but I see only blinking cursor without any % prompt and none answers from keyboard.

ZWalerij
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
I have had the same problem in the last few weeks. I also had the "Found new hardware wizard" appear even though all I did was connect to the UPS serial port with my Laptop. Out of 3 UPS's, 2 were fine and one is currently awaiting a power-cycle & then if it is still misbehaving HP will be getting a call to swap the SNMP card.

Could you attach a Laptop with a packet analyser (Ethereal software?) and find the UPS MAC address and then bind that MAC to a specific IP address using the DHCP server? Just a thought

regards
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
zw_2
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I know its MAC. It is 0020850165a6. I make assignment to DHCP but this reservation is still inactive and UPS takes old conflicting address. Must I change my snmp/serial card?

ZWalerij
zw_2
Occasional Contributor

Hello

OK. Its really works!

I have pulled card out for delivering to service centre. Look around, wipe out dust, and reseat the card back into UPS. Connect with hiperterminal, successful, and in one minute all parameters was changed.

├Р┬в├С ├Р┬░├Р┬╜├Р┬║├С
zw_2
Occasional Contributor

thread closed