1751936 Members
4808 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: adding a drive cage

Ron8
Frequent Visitor

adding a drive cage

Hi we have a dl380 gen10 with one drive cage on the front (8 disks), array controller P408i-a.

we need more space so we want to add another drive cache so we need to know what we need we know we need the drive cage do we need also a expension card and what about the array configuration. when we add the new cage does it affect the array in place 

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
KM26
HPE Pro

Hi Ron8,

Good day!

In order to add additional drives to the server, you would require the second drive cage complete with backplane kit.

Please refer to the server quickspecs (Page 41 - link provided below) to check the various backplane upgrade options available. 

HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00008180enw

Please note that an expander will not be required as you are looking to add drives to the second cage alone. 

While new drives are added, it doesnt affect the existing array on the server. These newly added drives can either be added to the existing array via an array expansion or a separate array can be created from it. 

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

mysy
Valued Contributor

I use ML110 gen9 , two cage with 4x 3.5HDD.  It need use 8 port HBA card.when your have other 8 SFF HDD , your will need other 16 port HBA/raid card or If your HDD is sata, you could use onboard SATA conntroller SFF8087 port.