1754378 Members
3081 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Boot Problem

Uzair_Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Boot Problem

I have HP DL 380 Gen 10. I started server but it started with fan speed at 100%.

I followed, Solved: DL-380 Gen 10 3 Fans always running at 94%Speed - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community (hpe.com) and also drained the flea power.

But as I started the server after drain, the server was up with blinking green light (Performing power on sequence). I disconnect the power again and tried to start it but the light still blinks.

I had already tried S6 to clear NVRAM but if the power does not turn on to facilitate the clearing, then that will never happen.

I have checked RAMs and they worked fine.

I have no display to server and I access my server remotely.

I have also changed CMOS battery and started it again. It started fine but moments after starting the fans got to 100% power.

How can I start the server with low fan power?

12 REPLIES 12
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Re: Boot Problem

Have you looked at the IML or iLO event logs?

I Haq
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I wuld suggest you update the server with the latest bios and ILO firmware

1. Update the server with the latest bios.
2. Update the server with the ILO 5 firmware.
3.Update the Server Platform Services Firmware.
4. Do the below RBSU settings.

a) Set the Workload profile to ‘High-Performance Compute’ and monitor the server.
b)If the issue persists, Set the Workload profile to ‘Virtualization – Max Performance’ and monitor the server.
OR
Set workload profiles as High-Performance Compute (HPC) in RBSU. Please refer to the below screenshot.

Plan B:
1.Use the Thermal Configuration option to select the fan cooling method for the system. Modifying this option is only advised for configurations that differ from typical Hewlett Packard Enterprise-supported configurations that cannot be cooled adequately via Optimal Cooling.

Procedure
1. From the System utility screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration
(RBSU) > Advanced Options > Fan and Thermal Options > Thermal Configuration.
2. Select a setting.
• Maximum Cooling—Provides the maximum cooling available for the system.
• Enhanced CPU Cooling—Provides additional cooling to the processors, which can improve
performance.
3. Save your setting

Plan-C

1.Reboot the server 
2. Press F9----->RBSU------>PCIe device Configuration------>Embedded LOM 1:HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter-NIC------->PCIe device disable----->Disable----->Save and Exit
3.After disabling NIC, the server will restart and wait till the OS boot.
4.Shut down the server and remove the power cables.
5.Hold on power on switch for 30-60 sec.
6.Power on the server after 5 minutes.
7.Observe the FAN speed. the FAN noise decrees or not
8.Collect the AHS report and FAN snapshot from the ILO home page after 10 minutes.
9.After that re-enable the NIC.
10.Reboot the server-- Press F9----->RBSU------>PCIe device Configuration------>Embedded LOM 1:HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter-NIC------->PCIe device disable----->Enable----->Save and Exit
11. Shut down the server and remove the power cables.
12.Hold on power on switch for 30-60 sec.
13.Power on the server after 5 minutes.
14.Observe the FAN speed. If the FAN noise decrees or low.
15.Collect the AHS report FAN snapshot from the ILO home page after 10 minutes.
16.Share both the AHS reports for further investigation if the issue still persists.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Uzair_Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Dear @Ihaqueit,

The password I assigned to ILO is not working after the CMOS battery was changed. Moreover, its defualt password is not working as well. Kindly advice on how to get the password or reset it.

Uzair_Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Dear @SanjeevGoyal ,

My display is not working due to VGA port at the back of the server and the display port at the front has stopped providing any display since last month. Kindly advice on how to access RBSU in this situation.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please connect the server directly with the monitor if any KVM switch connected in betwee.

Follow the below customer advisory
Advisory: (Revision) HPE ProLiant Gen10 and ProLiant Gen10 Plus Servers - Video Loss or Black Screen May Occur When Connecting Through Either the Video Graphics Array (VGA) Connector or DisplayPort Connections
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00056172en_us

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Are you try with default password?

Please check this blog also.

https://techexpert.tips/hp-ilo/hp-ilo-password-recovery/
I Haq
Uzair_Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Dear @SanjeevGoyal ,

I have already tried to connect the monitor directly to VGA but no display. Also, I have tried to connect to display port using connector.

Uzair_Ahmed
Occasional Advisor

Dear @Ihaqueit,

Yes I have tried default password but couldn't login. I have no display so I cannot access RBSU

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Access the System Maintenance Switch (on the motherboard).

Just power the Server off, set the deep-switch N1 to ON position and power the Server up again. You will bypass the iLO security and once you recover acces to the iLO you'll be able to reconfigure the password if necessary.

I Haq