3701 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Connecting UPS to serial port using PuTTY

JohanaRomero
Occasional Collector

Connecting UPS to serial port using PuTTY

Hi all,

have use the DB-9 to RJ-45 cable to connect the UPS to a computer.

I have used the following configuration for port COM1:

Bitts per second—9600o

Data bits—8

Parity—Noneo

Stop bits—1

Flow control—None

When I open Putty a black screen appears but then nothing else.

What I am doing wrong?

thank you

9 REPLIES 9
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Share the Model of the UPS.

What do you select when logging through putty, COM or SSH?

What do you intend to perform by connecting the UPS through COM port?

Check if the COM 1 port is conflicting with any other devices

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
JohanaRomero
Occasional Collector

Hi,

Thank you for your replay.

UPS model: HP R/T3000 HV INTL UPS

What do you select when logging through putty, COM or SSH? COM

What do you intend to perform by connecting the UPS through COM port? I need to set up the IP address.

Thank you for you help.

Regards,

Johana

DANDKS
HPE Pro

Hi Johana,

UPS can be configured and managed through software. After connecting the RS232 cable between the UPS & a system, install HPE Power Manager or HPE Power Protector software on the system to configure & manage the UPS.

You may download the software from the below link

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/1011196768/HPE-R-T3000-Gen5-High-Voltage-INTL-Uninterruptible-Power-Systems-(UPS)?ismnp=0&l5oid=1010675979#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&layout=table&numberOfResults=25&hpe=1

The shared link is for R/T 3000 Generation 5 UPS. If you have any other model, you may provide the model information with the generation on the HPE Support site to get the compatible software & firmware

Reference links:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04154374.pdf

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c02881291

Write back for any clarification or with an update.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
JohanaRomero
Occasional Collector

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I do have HPEPP, however, I cannot change the IP adress of the UPS from there.

I was following the instructions fro my UPS model "HP R/T3000 G4" and "HPE UPS  Network Module User Guide" from page 13. This process is using a terminal emulator. I tried with PuTTY and hypertherminal but any of them ask for a passwor or show me a settings menu  as they manuel says it should.

Regards,

Johana

DANDKS
HPE Pro

A Network Module for an UPS is a seperate part that needs to be installed additionally. As described in the below link

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04560766&docLocale=en_US

Page 19: Installation of optional NMC Network Card

If a Network Module is installed in the UPS, only then follow the Network Module User Guide.

If the UPS is connected to the RS-232 communication port (as shown in figure 1.3 Rear panels, page 7, (2)), then follow only the Power Protector User Guide.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c02881291

Architecture

The architecture consists of two methods to set up and manage the UPS:

Method 1—One Admin server with multiple client servers. The UPS has no HPE NM installed (NM=Network Module)

.Method 2—HPNM with multiple client servers. The UPS must have HPE NM installed.

At the end of the Installation of HPE PP, "default credentials admin/admin" you need to select "Administrator". Once this is done, you can launch the HPE PP application

Follow the installation guidelines from Page 20 of the HPE PP User Guide from the above link.

Do write back with an update.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
marshallsfeedba

The UPS itself should have a serial port but APC has always required a proprietary cable to connect

DANDKS
HPE Pro

@JohanaRomero 

Please provide an update & let us know if you were able to configure the UPS for Managing.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
JohanaRomero
Occasional Collector

Hi,

Thank you for the manuals but they are the same ones I already have.

What I need to do is change the UPS NM IP address and the instructions says this process is done using Hyperterminal.

Unfortunatelly, when I lauch Hiperterminal or PuTTy there is not menu options. in fact, there is nothing. the screen is black.

Thanks,

Johana

DANDKS
HPE Pro

@JohanaRomero 

There is a default IP for the Network Module, try to login through the browser with the default IP of the Network Module.

If not able to login with default IP, we recommend removing & installing the Network Module once & then try. Removing the Network Module will reset the Module.

Also verify if the cable connected is working fine, try with a good known working cable if possible. Or try connecting the UPS to another System.

Write back to us with an update.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo