5131 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Onboard Administrator/Virtual Connect Firmware Upgrade

R1Ck123
Frequent Visitor

HP Onboard Administrator/Virtual Connect Firmware Upgrade

Hey,

I need to upgrade our Onboard Administrator from version 4.85 to 4.97. I have got myself lost in the documentation when reading release notes and compatibility sheets.

Essentially I have:

BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure G3 - Onboard Administrator Firmware Version 4.85

x10 BL460c Gen 8

x 2 BL460c Gen 9

x4 Virtual Connects - Firmware Version 4.62

I have read the following when mixing servers in the same chassis.

"All G6 to all Gen8 (except BL620c G7 and BL680c G7)and the BL460c Gen9 (no G1 or G5) may be mixed together when using OA firmware 4.11-4.95 and VC firmware 4.30-4.80. OA 4.97,VC 4.85 could be used with the mentioned server mix except G6 series"

Am I reading this wrong somehow?

Obviously I am currently on OA 4.85 and would upgrade to 4.97, at some point in time I am reading the above as though my VC would not be supported as they would still be on 4.62 and my OA would be 4.97. Unfortunately i don't have chassis to test with so was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I read somewhere that the VC should always be on an older version than the OA so upgraded to VC 4.85 doesn't sound like an option.

The only other way I could read it is that I could have a mix of servers on VC 4.85 but an OA of 4.95.

Anyone help of have any documentation to say upgrading to latest OA and keeping VC version the same is compatible?

Maybe i'm not understanding the correct process. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Document - HPE ProLiant Server Blades - Compatibility with HPE BladeSystem c7000 and c3000 Enclosures and Firmware | HPE Support

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
support_s
System Recommended

Query: HP Onboard Administrator/Virtual Connect Firmware Upgrade

System recommended content:

1. HP Virtual Connect Firmware Upgrade Steps and Procedures

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

R1Ck123
Frequent Visitor

Re: Query: HP Onboard Administrator/Virtual Connect Firmware Upgrade

hmm so it doesn't really answer my query, is it okay to upgrade to OA 4.97 and leave my VC's on 4.62? The other documentation I posted seems to say otherwise.

ManBha
HPE Pro

Re: Query: HP Onboard Administrator/Virtual Connect Firmware Upgrade

Hello,

As recommended in the document, the max version of OA is 4.97 and the minimum version of VCM required to support this is version 4.62.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=mmr_sf-EN_US000050596

Yes, you can update the OA to 4.97 with VCM version 4.62.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo