Servers - General
1755700 Members
3296 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: is it ok, using a "used" HDD as replacement, is it required that replacement

juergen-account
Occasional Contributor

is it ok, using a "used" HDD as replacement, is it required that replacement HDD is empty?

Hello, 

Data backup is available, one hard disk of the RAID is failed. (out of warranty)
Is there anything against using an identical "used" hard disk from an identical server via hotswap as a "replacement HDD"?  I don't know if it is "empty" and if this is important at all.
I will check whether the front P/N of the HDD has exactly the same P/N as the existing drives.

The aforementioned identical server was finally shut down so that its hard disks went to the shelf. (they were even only 1-2 years old) The RAID at that time was deleted via ACU, so only delete logical drive which takes a second was done.

The disabled cache (presumably no or empty battery) is not important with regard to the automatic RAID rebuild as far as I know. The HPE cookbook on the other hand recommends: ...but it is advised to follow the troubleshooting steps by events (first come first serve).

1hv22.jpg

Moderator edit: Removed the confidential info. 

1 REPLY 1
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: is it ok, using a "used" HDD as replacement, is it required that replacement

Hello,

Before replacing any hardware component, ensure that you have valid back of data. It is recommended to replace the hard drive first and let the array re-build complete. It is not necessary that the hard drive not have data. If the hard drive is functioning, then it should be fine. Then replace the cache battery to resolve the issue.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo