108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: License for 60 days trial

mmehdi
Occasional Advisor

License for 60 days trial

Hello All

I have two questions:

1) Do we need a license for 60 days trial version of the HP SDN Controller 2.4.5? If yes how we can get it?

2) I am creating a topology in mininet, but I can not see the topology in the controller webpage? Can you please let me know how I can resolve this problem?

Thanks

Mehdi

8 REPLIES 8
piricchio72
Valued Contributor

Hello,

1) you don't need a license during the trial period.

you will notice log entries related to the missing license but the controller will be fully functional during the first 60 days

2) Mininet: which topology did you create? (please copy the command)

Did you specified the "controller=remote" setting? (--controller=remote,ip=<Controller IP>)

Support reccomends to run mininet from a different host rather than on same server on which the controller is running

In my test bed I'm able to see the Mininet topology by running followin command from a different host (a VM in my case):

sudo mn --controller=remote,ip=192.168.80.133 --topo linear,4

Where 192.168.80.133 is my controller (2.4.5) IP address.

Regards,

Antonio

SDN CoE TEAM

mmehdi
Occasional Advisor

Hello and thanks for the response.

I am new to these tools. These are different things that I have done:

I have installed the controller from the installation manual following pages 9-19. and when I am runing sudo service sdnc start/status  it show stat it is correct

1) In vmworksation, first I use ifconfig to get the controller ip as: inet addr:15.9.78.151. Then I login to the controller by "sdn" username and my password. Then, I open putty and connect to the controller and run:

sudo mn --topo=linear,4 --controller=remote,ip=15.9.78.151,port=8443

But I can not see the topology on the page

2) Based on your instruction, now in addition to the orginal VMworksation, I open another VM (which is mininet VM) and run the same command. But still I can not see the topology

I would appreciate it if you could please help me regarding this issue.

Thanks

Mehdi

piricchio72
Valued Contributor

Hello,

When running the mininet command , can you see whether the controller can be reached or not?

In the following output example (first lines you see after running the mininet command) the controller can't be reached:

*** Adding controller
Unable to contact the remote controller at 192.168.80.143:6633

Most important, notice that you should use port 6633 to contact the controller and not port 8443 that you use to connect to the GUI.

Please let me know if you need further help.

I also sent you a private message.

Regards,

Antonio

SDN CoE Team

mmehdi
Occasional Advisor

Hi Antonio

Thank you very much for your help. I tried to install first mininet and then controller and now I can see the topology. This is the process that I am doing:

1) I am connecting to the webpage contrller at https://127.0.0.1:8443/sdn/ui/app

2) then I define the topology as: "sudo mn --topo=linear,4 --controller=remote"

Is this a correct process?

Also, I can see the topology but I can not see the box as "node label". Can you please let me know how I can activate that (I have checked and node manager is "Active")? What other packages should I install?

Thanks

Best

Mehdi

piricchio72
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Glad that you can see the topology now.

I do think you installed the GUI on your server, we generally suggest not to do this in order not to waste server resources.

We also suggest not to run mininet on same device where the controller is running.

I would add the IP address of the controller in the mininet command (although not required):

--controller=remote,ip=192.168.80.133 (example)

Finally, if you click on the topology page and then type the letter "n" can you see the node labels?

are these  the labels you are referring to?

Regards,

Antonio

mmehdi
Occasional Advisor

Hello Antonio

Thank you very much for your response. I can see the node lable now. I appreciate your help.

Best

Mehdi

mmehdi
Occasional Advisor

Hello Antonio

I have a question. I have installed the health monitor application. Now I want to communicate with network that I have in mininet and collect some flow statistics from the network. I have done already this in POX, but here I am confused. I dont know where in eclipse should I start developing my code and interacting with the network. Which one of the java codes in hm application can we use to develope our application.

Can you please help me and let me know from where I should start. I know the concept but I am not familiar with these tools.

Do you have any simple example for this application.

I appreciate all your help in advance.

Thanks

Best

Mehdi

piricchio72
Valued Contributor

Hello Mehdi,

Health monitor is really just an example showing how to compile and upload an application on the controller and to import the project in Eclipse.

However the gen-sdn-app file that you used to generate the Health Monitor app gives you the opportunity to generate an application called one-ping-only.

Following same steps you followed for the Health Monitor application you will be able to generate compile and upolad the application on the controller and the project in eclipse.

The application will allow only one ping between hosts and will block all others.Giving you the opportuniy to see flows being added to switches.

It is just an example but I do think it will help you understanding the code along with the apidoc file that you can use as reference.

Instructions on how to generate the application are in the gen-sdn-app file (just open it and you will find the usage example to generate the app).

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Antonio