Re: Unable to migrate a SQL database to AIO600

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kris Wolton
Advisor

Unable to migrate a SQL database to AIO600

Hi There,

I hope someone can help with this...

We have a AIO 600 with the 1.3 software. We have sucessfully mounted an Exchange database to the server which has been working for a year or so.
However we have 2 SQL databases that we need to move to it and neither will work.

The server will show the database and start the proccess to move it, it created the IScsi luns, then when it comes to moving the actual database it just fails with no real explanation.

After it fails it changes the permissions on the database to the swsm user, so you have to change them again before you can re-mount the database on the SQL server.

In desperation i created a clean SQL server with a test database, which migrated fine, so i suspect permissions/iscsi agent problems.

Please help!
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_112
Valued Contributor

Kris,

Could you check if the permissions of the database is actually swsm user, and not ASMUser. The permissions of the file should be ASMUser. Like to verify if this is the case or not.

Thanks.
Kris Wolton
Advisor

Hi Keith,

Thanks for replying, you are correct, it changes the permissions for the database file to asmuser.

I should have mentioned it is a 2005 sql server.

Kris
Kris Wolton
Advisor

It removes all the other permissions so only the ASMuser is left.

It creates the luns and all the folders for the logs and the database on the SQL server.
It just seems to stop while copying (or attempting to copy) the data to the AIO server.

The other server is a Dl380 G5 with windows 2003 R2 SP2 with dedicated GB link through a procurve switch to the AIO used only for IScsi traffic.

Hope this helps, i have completely run out of ideas.
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Hi Kris,

Is the ASMuser on your SQL server have a server role defined as System Administrators?

Each SQL Server instance must have a login for the local user called ASMUser with
the server role defined as System Administrators.

1. For SQL Server 2000: Open SQL Server Enterprise Manager.
2. For SQL Server 2005: Open SQL Server Management Studio.
3. Connect to the server with SQL Server data you want to store
All-in-One Storage System.
4. Select the Security Folder.
5. Select Logins.
6. Select Actions > New Login from the menu bar.
7. In the Name box, enter ASMUser.
8. For SQL Server 2000 only: In the Domain box, enter the domain
server that hosts SQL Server.
9. Select the Server Roles tab.
10. Select the System Administrators server role and click OK.

Also, I would suggest opening a HP support ticket on this case as a more in-depth log review may be needed.

So, you do not see any messages in the App event log on the AiO?
Kris Wolton
Advisor

Hi Monty,

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunatly there is an ASMuser already created and it has the sysadmin permissions.

What date should the asmagentinstaller have as this server with 1.3 installed has a date of 31/08/07 and version 11.0.0.28844?

I really am running out of ideas. I created a case for this a while ago but HP did not really offer any sensible answers.

Kind Regards

Kris
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Kris,

The version of ASM agent is correct and the latest version.

If you are willing, I'd like to work directly with you on this to try and get you up and running. Do you have the HP case number still? I should be able to get your contact information from it to contact you. Of course, you can post your email here as well, but I understand if you prefer not to post on a public forum.

I want to work with you directly in order to get some debug outputs and logs to determine what could be going on.

Thanks,
Monty
HP Support
Kris Wolton
Advisor

Hi Monty,

Thanks for your reply and offer of help.

My HP case is : 1600107512

I am in the UK so follow GMT hours when in the office, but am more then happy to fit in with your time zone if needed.

Kind Regards

Kris
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the case number. I am reviewing and investigating it now.

It works out nicely that you are in the UK as this will give me some time today to review and investigate your case.

I will send you an email later today with my thoughts and next action items.

Thanks,
Monty
Kris Wolton
Advisor

Thanks Monty, really appreciate it!