1753818 Members
8768 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compression problem with Data Protector Express Single Server Edition

Benoit Genest

Compression problem with Data Protector Express Single Server Edition

Hi,

I am experiencing a weird behavior with Data Protector Express Single server edition (latest available release) running on Windows 2003 server, with HP Ultrium 448 tape drive.

Using HP StorageWorks, i am able to confirm that the compression is working well with the Ultrium 448 drive. I am actually getting an amazing 2.62:1 compression ratio.

Using DP Express, when looking at the Media - Diagnostic window, it shows compression enabled or active (I have the software installed in spanish here in Honduras, so I don't know the exact term it shows in English).

When running a backup task with the software compression disabled (and the encryption disabled as well), I am not getting any compression for a 300 Gig backup task. I am convinced of it for the following reason:

-The backup register log shows that the tape:1 used roughly 190 Gig, and the other tape the remaining. I am using HP tapes 200/400 Gig.

-The other reason, the funniest, is that the compression enabled flag in the media diagnostic window toggles from enable/active to disable/inactive when the backup task starts. At the end of the backup task, the compression flag comes back to enable/active...Very weird...

-The same happens with the Windows Properties window of the Ultrium drive...I always have the driver indicating me that the compression is possible (TRUE), but the compression usage flag toggles from TRUE to FALSE when the backup task starts, and comes back to TRUE when it finishes...

I am doing the backup using the DATA Protector software application open. As far as I know, when the application is opened, the HP windows services for backup are not used...

Anyone faced that problem in the past?

Any known solutions to this weird behavior ?

Any input will be appreciated...

Thanks,

Benoit
4 REPLIES 4
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Re: Compression problem with Data Protector Express Single Server Edition

Well I'd usually say something about not all files will compress and some media files (MP3, MPEG, etc) may actually use more space on tape than they do on disk because they are already compressed. But your comments about compression in the device status windows are interesting.

Data Protector Express does turn off compression while it is writing the OBDR boot track track to the tape but then it is supposed to turn it back on.

If you're up for another test, create a backup job and turn of the DR options by unchecking all the DR related boxes in the advanced options screen. (Go to job properties, then options, then advanced options).

Watch the same properties screens as you did before and also check the job log. The compression information should also be listed there.

DL
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Benoit:

There was a bug in DPX 3.5 SP2 where when you opened the DPX gui while the backup job was running the hardware compression checkbox would be unchecked during the backup job.

For the issue there is a DPX hotfix build 37634 that fixes this issue.

Please go to HP's website and download the hotfix 3 build 37634 CDROM image and upgrade your DPX installation. Here is a HP website link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1144272&prodNameId=1144275&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-58946-1

Benoit Genest

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the input...
I've just tried disabling all related disaster recovery check boxes (2) in the advanced options window and it didn't change anything. The compression status still toggles...

But as much as I tought that I had the latest release, I have to admit that I was wrong...and I am currently running the service pack one (SP1)...

So, as Mr. Wong is suggesting, I am currently downloading the SP2 from the link he gave me....I still have a couple of hours to wait because the download speed here in Honduras is not that fast...

I'll keep you posted...meanwhile, if you think of anything else, let me know...

thanks,

...benoit

George Jimenez
Occasional Advisor

Hi Benoit,

I'm having the same problem.
Did the SP2 hotfix resolve the compression problem ??