108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT72 Drive Replace

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shoan
Advisor

DAT72 Drive Replace

I have a HP Tape Array5300 that has 2 internal DAT 72 tape drives. The StorageWorks enclosure has 2 scsi ports. Connected to the scsi ports are 2 RP3410 hosts running 11iv2.

I need to replace one of the DAT drives. Can I simply power down the StorageWorks enclosure, disconnect the scsi cable, replace the drive, reconnect, and power up? Will the hosts be ok with that? I would like to avoid host downtime or reboot.
2 REPLIES 2
Kranti Mahmud
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I would do a full ioscan on the system to force a frsk hardware scan and check there seen again, and if not you may need to issue an insf for the path.

Secondly, check the jumpers on the drive are the same and it should use the same scsi id, and use the same dev files.

if it takes awhile you may get some messages in the monitors about missing tape drive, just be as quick as possible getting it back together.

Rgds-Kranti
Dont look BACK as U will miss something INFRONT!
Kranti Mahmud
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You shouldn't need to power off the entire enclosure. You should be able to power off the DAT drive alone and pull it out. This way you don't impact the other good drive and the other server.

One thing you must check is if there are any other devices (disks) attached to the same SCSI bus that this tape drive is. In that case you could still pull the drive but there is a chance you may temporarily interrupt i/o in the scsi bus.

Rgds-Kranti
Dont look BACK as U will miss something INFRONT!