New Discussion

Data Protector Express - Cannot add server client

SOLVED
Go to solution
dv
Occasional Visitor

Data Protector Express - Cannot add server client

Hi,

I recently bought Data Protector Express Backup Server (BB17BA) and DP Express Client Backup Agent (BB121BA). I'm using DP Express 4.0 SP1 (46537).

This is what I have done so far:

- I prepared a test environment, installed DP in a Windows 2008 R2 Server, create a new domain (no problems here)

- Added DP license and agent license (no problem here)

- I did the workaround in order to be able to backup in w2008. Tested a backup/restore (no problem here)

- Installed the DP in another server, and i can't see it in the network client list (problem)

- Just to check installation and firewall on the backup server, I installed DP in a Windows XP machine and it shows in the client list

- Test connection from the second server to the backup server and everything works fine (I checked name/ip and port connection)

- Connect from second server to backup server using DP administration console, and I am able to manage the backup domain 

- The license says: 1 use out of 2

It looks like the problem is with the server.

Am I missing something?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

David

2 REPLIES 2
The Neighbor
Solution

Re: Data Protector Express - Cannot add server client

Hello David.

What do mean by this( I did the workaround in order to be able to backup in w2008) ???

This should be a base license:

HP Data Protector Express Software Backup Server Media
BB117BA

This should be a client-agent for ONE additional server:

HP Data Protector Express Software Network Server Agent 3 Pack LTU
BB122BA

As per--> http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBases.asp?oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=&ProductLineId=450&FamilyId=2249&LowBaseId=&LowPrice=&familyviewgroup=1521&viewtype=Matrix#

As per the matrix for DPExpress //wind2K8 R2 // is not supported by this software( only SP2)  please refer to --> http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storage/software/datapexp/pdf/DPXMatrix_0310.pdf

The 2 versions of DPExpress( Domain & Client) shuold be on the same buil# (46357)

The port # for DPExpress is  3817 please make sure that is open on fire wall.

Configuring the Windows firewall for use with Data Protector Express Backup software

Related Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, NetWare Related Products: Data Protector Express 3.1 ? 3.5 Issue Type: Configuration General Microsoft has recently included a new Windows Firewall in XP Service Pack 2, and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1. The new Windows Firewall provides many functional enhancements, among which is a client side (local to the computer) Firewall. This Firewall closes the port used by Data Protector Express Backup Software, and also blocks necessary access to *.exe files that are required for Data Protector Express Backup Software to function correctly.

TO DISABLE THE WINDOWS FIREWALL

1. Select Start > Run > firewall.cpl {ENTER}

2. Select "Off" at the Firewall Control Applet

3. Once Data Protector Express Clients have joined the zone, repeat step one

4. Select "On" at the Firewall Control Applet

TO CONFIGURE THE WINDOWS FIREWALL FOR DATA PROTECTOR EXPRESS

1. Select Start | Run | firewall.cpl {ENTER} (this will bring up the firewall properties window).

2. Select the Exceptions Tab, and select "Add Program".

3. You will need to make the following exemptions:

1. In all cases port 3817 must be exempted.

2. If you are running Data Protector Express as a service:

1. Install_Path\3.xx\win\x86\dpwinsdr.exe

3. If you are running the Data Protector Express GUI:

1. Install_Path\3.xx\win\x86\dpwingad.exe

2. Install_Path\dpadmin.exe

4. If you are running the CUI:

1. Install_Path\dpwincui.exe

4. Close the Firewall Properties window.

NOTE: For information on the default installation go to Installation and Configuration. In some instances it may be necessary to shut down the Windows Firewall during the initial installation of Data Protector Express to allow the clients to join the zone. Data Protector Express should now function correctly with the Firewall installed by Windows XP Service Pack 2, and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1. Also, you can enable the PORT 3817 in your firewall.If you still have doubts about it please contact your service representative.

=========

Also do a bindTo=domainIP adress

I have two or more network cards in my machine, is this preventing connection to the Data Protector Express Storage Domain?

In some cases a machine with multiple network cards may not be able to connect to the Data Protector Express Storage Domain because communication is attempted via the 'wrong' network card. The solution is to bind Data Protector Express to the network card in the network used by the Data Protector Express Storage Domain.

To bind DPX to a specific network card perform the following steps:

1. Close Data Protector Express.

2. Stop the Data Protector Express Service.

3. Open the dpconfig.ini (Install_Path\config, by default) with a text editor (e.g., Windows NotePad).

4. In the configuration section, add the following line:
    bindTo=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the local network card that communicates with the Data Protector Express Storage Domain.

5. This section should resemble the following:
    configuration
    lastUser=Admin
    lastDomain=Data Protector Express Storage Domain
    nodeGuid={00001001-421F132A-0003F771-FFE580D7}
    databaseServerAddress=localhost
    isDatabaseServer=Yes
    databaseServerName=Data Protector Express Storage Domain
    disableNetwork=No
    remoteAdmin=No
    bindTo=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ;(IP address here)

6. Save the file as a text file and close it.

7. Start the Data Protector Express Service.

8. Data Protector Express should now be able to connect to the Data Protector Express Storage Domain.

FEll free to vist the free support site @ http://h20584.www2.hp.com/hpgt/guides/select?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1144272&lang=en&cc=us

I hope this helps a little..

dv
Occasional Visitor

Re: Data Protector Express - Cannot add server client

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Neighbor.

It's working now!!!

Even thought my test environment doesn't have two network cards, the bindTo trick did solve the problem :S

And yes, you can make DPExpress4sp1 work with w2k8, just have to do a little trick.

What do mean by this( I did the workaround in order to be able to backup in w2008) ???

when you use DP in a Windows 2008 Server, you can get an error "end of data" and no backup is done. Just change the drive letter to the reserved partition. Here is a post about it.

Thank you for your help.

David.