StoreEver Tape Storage
1752618 Members
4494 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Data Protector Express Singler Server

linthade

Data Protector Express Singler Server

I have a brand new install of this program, on a fresh install of 2k3 Server, on a Proliant ML370. I have no other errors or warnings at all, except that the Data Protector Express service is hanging on boot. It eventually pops the "Service failed" dialogue box and leaves an error in the event log that it hung on startup.

When I look in my Services, it is running. I can't just ignore this error, as something must be wrong.

Anyone have an idea where I could start to look?

Thanks,
Dan B.
15 REPLIES 15
Satish M.S.
Valued Contributor

Re: Data Protector Express Singler Server

Linthade:

Stop the backup service pertaining to the Data Protector and re-enable it. Also, make sure the Removable Storage Manager is disabled.

Satish
Wooning
Occasional Advisor

What do you mean by reenable the service.
Satish M.S.
Valued Contributor

re-enable as in restart the service
Wooning
Occasional Advisor

Removeble Storage service was already disabled and the server is rebooted several times, but the message Service failed it hung on startup is still there
Stuart Henderson_1

I see this happening too. I can ignore the error but it's for a customer site and I'd rather find a way to fix it before I hand the machine over if possible!

This is under SBS 2003, nothing out of the ordinary in the installation. DL385, Ultrium 448, DPE SSE 3.10-sp1a.
Gianluca C.
Occasional Advisor

hi,

i have the same problem.
During the startup the server is slow and after logon in the event viewer appear this error:

event ID 7022--> the data protector express service hung on starting.

if i set the service(data protector express) in manual, and reboot the server the problem doesn't appear.
in this situation, if i start the dpX service the error doesn't appear.

any suggestions?
Regards
linthade

This seems to be affecting a lot of people, but not hearing any tentative solutions.

Anyone got a bone they could throw me?

*DB*
qui gonn jinn

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1144275&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1144272&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

The above is a link to the latest service pack for the DPX program. Use the "upgrade" button after you run the setup -to update the service pack on the local system. Ensure that you are running this locally on any given system not attempting the upgrade over your network.

I have heard of this type of error on the Linux OS not before on Windows systems.

Can you provide the enitrety of the message from the event viewer? I'd like to take a look at that please.
Stuart Henderson_1

Just about to try the newer version; the error in eventvwr is just this:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7022
Date: 13/03/2006
Time: 17:18:53
User: N/A
Computer: PDC1
Description:
The Data Protector Express service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

...this is followed shortly by this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7036
Date: 13/03/2006
Time: 17:18:56
User: N/A
Computer: MYH1
Description:
The Data Protector Express service entered the running state.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.