StoreEver Tape Storage
1748151 Members
3603 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: error while taking backup using tar command on MSL 4048 1840FC LTO-4

Anish Parwage

error while taking backup using tar command on MSL 4048 1840FC LTO-4

I am not able to take backup on MSL 4048 1840FC LTO-4 using tar command.
I took a new cartridge, formatted it,moved it manually to one of the drives through the Tapedrive GUI, then i issued the tar command.I am getting the following error :

#tar -cvf /dev/nst1 session02-4_detail
tar: /dev/nst1: Cannot open: Input/output error
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I had checked from DP GUI that DRIVE2 has been mapped with /dev/nst1 and moreover i am able to take backup with DP software but not with TAR command.Can somebody kindly help me with the issue ?Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

If the DP services are running they probably have that device locked. Try shutting down the DP services first then run tar.
Anish Parwage

I have even tried by stopping the DP first and tried taking the backup using tar but I am getting the same error.
The problem that I observed was when I manually loaded a cartridge to one of the drive it came out of the drive almost immediately and the period for which it was there in the drive it started writing in the cartridge.After as the cartridge came out of the drive automatically the backup was stopped showing errors.

Is the MSL 4048 1840FC Tape library supposed to work with DP software only??
Till now with my experience I believe tar/cpio (which are basically backup commands) should work to take backup on any TAPE LIBRARY.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

It sounds like maybe the library is in stacker mode and something is sending a rewind/unload. In stacker mode when the drive receives an unload command the library will automatically unload the drive.

There has to be some event to cause the unload. The library doesn't care whether you are using DP or tar. We run tar and the other basic *nix tools in a test before every release.