StoreEver Tape Storage
1752777 Members
5879 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESL712e interface manager communication error.

SOLVED
Go to solution
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

ESL712e interface manager communication error.

I have an ESL712e that after reboots, power downs, etc keeps reporting on the front panel and in CV-TL there is a interface manager communication error.

I have taken out the IM, re-seated the RAM (didnt touch battery or other 256mb card) re-installed the IM, have tried several resets with the paper clip, etc. Hard boots, soft boots, etc... still same thing.

The only thing thats changed is I added 3 more drives in the same drive cluster (shouldnt affect it) and used CV-TL on it, but didnt run any firmware updates, or change anything vital.

Any thoughts at all? Do I need to replace the memory, mess with the battery or 256mb card? Replace the entire IM?

I also tried using a different cat5 cable (pass through, not x-over) that runs to the interface controller, and nothing.

If you have no thoughts, do you have a number/email address I can contact to get this supported/replaced? Or a part # for what I need to purchase to fix this issue?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

8 REPLIES 8
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Re: ESL712e interface manager communication error.

Also, I have tried to telnet into it, and cannot find a valid username/password.

I have tried cliadmin:clipwd, and also cliadmin:cli and neither work. It is still default and no password has been set up. I can telnet successfully to the prompt, just not authenticate in.

mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Also....

The ESL712e came with fibre, no SCSI. The IM only has one thing plugged into it upon arrival, that is one cat5 cable to the network port, that then runs to what appears to be the drive cluster? Next to the interface controller?

However, im reading that the 4 ports (says to fibre controllers) on the IM is to run to each interface controller you have... Is there a reason that it didnt ship this way? Am I ONLY suppose to have one cable from the IM that goes to the drive cluster port?
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

I really wish you could edit posts...

Ok, so reading/investigating more, I was getting the IM and the robotics controller (e1200-160) mixed up.

I apparently have NO robotics controller. It appears to have SCSI, did I not get one because im FC only? If so, do I not worry about the port e4 and running to one? Should my esl712e came with a robotics controller? Do I need to purchase one?

mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

there is two flavors of ESLe, one with scsi communication from the nsr to the CCB (RObotic controller) and one that use tcp/ip for that communication.
the difference are that in the first you have a E1200 IC (Interface controller) on the library that is the interface for the robotic controller and have a scsi cable between the two devices
the second model do not have this E1200IC, and the CCB have no scsi interface plugged in the box. and obvioulsly the scsi cable is missing.
In the second case, you should have one of the IC that is managing the Robotic controller via LAN. This IC, is called SIPP MASTER (SIPP is Scsi Over IP)

Now, I didn't well understand what you are refering related to your configuration, but if it was working previoulsy, it should work even if you added three drives in one cluster.
The main think to be sure is that all the components are visible on the internal lan, and that there is any bad cable or connector.
The IM try then to discover all the devices, and when he finish, the led should be steady green, if not, check the manual to see what is the situation

Hi Mujzeptu.
Exactly the same situation here in our DataCenter. Same ESL flavour (we've 2 ESL, one was the SCSI one, but we converted that one to TCP/IP communication; the other one, which has the error, is the TCP/IP native one, like yours).
We didn't change anything in the library, it has been a failure by its own.
We're going (according to HP) to replace the IM, because most probably it is somehow failed. Its leds are in this wey:
- error (red) led: turned off
- status (green) led: a couple of blinks every 4 second.

And on the front panel I have "Interface Mgr: Comm error". And no way to connect via telnet or ssh or CV-TL.

If the replacement will go fine, I'll write here.

Best regards,
Alex
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Yeah thats what worked for us.

Hope it works out for ya!

Ok, finally I got it :-)
It was the Compact Flash.
Only that part.
Once changed the ESL started working finally fine!

Best regards, Alex