StoreEver Tape Storage
1748252 Members
3920 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I ask HP re out-of-warranty product?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel A. Sharp
Occasional Contributor

How can I ask HP re out-of-warranty product?

It's good to learn from Mr. Eames that he uses HP software to back up to non-HP devices, but his suggestion that I ask HP if my devices are supported raises two other questions: 1) How can I get info.from HP re. my out-of-warranty product w/o incurring charges? I looked for an email way, but that's how I arrived here.
2) How to set my software to be able to direct it to my devices, on of which is a QPS external HD? (Actually that was the question I tried to ask in the first place. I apparently wasn't clear enough).
Thanks for any answers,
Dan
10 REPLIES 10
meloni
Honored Contributor

Hi
First, you can call HP with your out of warranty tape device at any time with no charge for informations and troubleshooting infos, only repair or replacement have to bee payd. so do not esitate to contacts HP for help.
second, it depend of your software, read the manual first on how to select "target or Device", if you use NTBackup, select destination of backup, it will show you all tape devices and also floppy disk or file system.
Bye

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
bollen
Frequent Advisor

Hi Marino,

You may be able to call HP free-of-charge for information about an out-of-warranty product at your country but that does not apply for all coutries. In the Netherlands -I am sorry to say- I've learned that the first question asked is about the warranty period. If the device it no longer under warranty you first have to pay ??? 27.50 before you can ask any further questions.

L8r, Henk
CA756694
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

You should NOT have to pay for phone support on out of warranty products. I just checked the documentation and also spoke to my colleagues in europe.

If someone does attampt to charge you then it's wrong.
I know it's asking a bit much, but if it happens to you and you can be bothered then post the case and the person's name you spoke to and I will sort it out.

cheers

John
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
meloni
Honored Contributor

Hi
I get some information from Netherlands, and can confirm that actualy, also for this country the Out Of Waranty support calls are free
Bye

Marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Wendy Woody

I called HP Tech support to order a recovery CD for my Pavillion 780n. The warranty had expired 2 weeks prior. I was charged $30 just for making the phone call to order the CD. Was that a legitimate charge?

I've tried to find information on out-of-warranty charges with no luck. I'm scared to call again or e-mail to ask for fear of getting another $30 charge. Is there anywhere that I might find a listing of out-of-warranty charges?
BR659932
Regular Advisor

Hi.

The current warranty info for backup units:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/warranty.html

Note that the warranty statement provided with the device applies, not the one in the web.

For the other devices, go to www.hp.com and search with term +warranty.

I do agree with John and meloni, even if the device is OOW AFAIK the phone support is free for all products.

As for the Pavilion recovery CD charge, are you quite sure that the charge was for the phone call? I think you must pay for the CD itself.

HTH,
Arimo
BR659932
Regular Advisor

Always forgetting something...

At any case HP has Instant Support, http://instantsupport.hp.com/euserv/jsp/hpinstantsupport.jsp which is free of charge.

Arimo
Wendy Woody

Yep, I first talked to a guy at HP who quoted the recovery CD charge at $10. But he needed my serial numbers so I had to call the PC repair place for my numbers and call HP back. That's when I talked to a woman who already had my serial numbers on file and told me it was $30 for the service phone call plus $10 for the recovery CDs. I asked specifically if the $30 was just for making the phone call and she said yes.

Joey Jackson
Frequent Advisor

Most Pavillion products do carry an out of warranty support fee. Tape drives which is the forum that you are in now, are a little different because they are commercial business products and fall into another category, if you want more clarification call HP support (1-800-HP-INVENT) (474-6836) and ask to speak to a customer satisfaction representative. Make sure you have your case number.

Good luck
Every Day is a Good Day