StoreEver Tape Storage
1753971 Members
7865 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

How to schedule a backup job correctly with 1/8 G2 Autoloader

Jinwu Song

How to schedule a backup job correctly with 1/8 G2 Autoloader

Hello, we have purchased a 1/8 G2 Autoloader and use the included backup software, data protector express 3.50 sp2.
Data to be backuped:
full 400GB
incremental 5GB
Tape size: 800GB
Our desired backup policy is:
weekly full backup on saturday, from monday to friday daily incremental backup, and the last saturday of the month a monthly full backup, this tape will be take out from the autoload and archived somewhere else..
Actually I set 3 set for weekly backup, 4 set for daily backup, 12 for monthly backup, is this configuration right? In the autoloader i put 7 backup tape and 1 cleaning tape, and the monthly backup always failed, and i realized that's because there's not tape for the monthly backup..by going into the job object-->rotation media-->daily backup, I noticed that the 4 set used for the daily bakcup are used 5gb, so get 795gb free per tape, because the default is to overwritte media, and there's noway to tell it to apend to media..I use custom rotation, not fixed rotation tape..
Can anyone help me?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Data Protector Support and News Forum to Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business).
-HP Forum Moderator