2900 Online
109005 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE MSL 3040 can't clean

Kenvil-LHT
Occasional Contributor

HPE MSL 3040 can't clean

Hi all,

My system (HPE MSL3040)  has 1 Drive (TLO8) that needs Cleaning. I used Clean Tape (P/N: C7978A, I no use Label for this Cartridge) to clean but the system reported an error, specific information as following:

An error occurred while cleaning:

Error when clean.PNG

My Tape Cleanning Cartridge:

Cleanning Cartridge 1.jpg

Cleanning Cartridge.jpg

Regards!

8 REPLIES 8
Cali
Honored Contributor

I don't understand, why HPE does not put  Cleaning Labels to the Cleaning Tape.

The Cleaning labels are included in the Label Pack (Q2015A HPE LTO-8 Ultrium RW Bar Code Label Pack),

or if you buy "HPE LTO-8 Ultrium 30TB RW Non Custom Labeled Library Pack 20 Data Cartridges with Cases Q2078AN"

If urgently needed, I would search in Google for: lto cleaning label

Print yourself a Label stating with CLNxxx BarCode and attach it to the Tape.

Then try again.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Kenvil-LHT
Occasional Contributor

Hi Cali

I have been using label (Index: CLNU00L1)  for this tape cleaning but the system has the same error.

This error occurs because of the label?

P/S: This label (Index: CLNU00L1) is attached when I buy tape cleaning from HPE.

Regards/
Tunglh

Tape Clean Label.jpg

Cali
Honored Contributor

For me, this looks good.
The Part#, Orange Cleaning Tape, and the Bar Code.
L1 stands for LTO1 but as far as I know, there is no difference between LTO1-LTO8 Cleaning Tape and there is only one type for Order.

OK, I'm out here, hopefully, some HPE Expert here can help you.

The last thing, maybe the Tape is simply too old (can be more than 8 Years).
It is labeled as HP and since 2015 we have HPE and the Cleaning Tape looks like this.
Bild 2023-09-28-15-55-40.png

I would trow away and by a new one.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Kenvil-LHT
Occasional Contributor

Hi Cali,

Thank you for your help.

My Clean Tape has part number C7978A. I checked on HP's documentation, it can be used for HPE MSL 3040. I don't understand what error is happening. Hope someone can help me!

Regards/
Kenvil-LHT

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

Hello @Kenvil-LHT 

This error can occur for a few reasons, including compatibility issues or incorrect handling of the cleaning tape.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

>> Double-check that the cleaning tape you are using (P/N: C7978A) is indeed compatible with your HPE MSL 3040 tape drive. The fact that it has the correct part number is a good sign, but you may want to check the documentation or specifications for your specific tape drive model to confirm compatibility.

>> If the cleaning tape has a label (Index: CLNU00L1) on it, try removing the label before using it for cleaning. Some tape drives are sensitive to labels or additional materials on the tape.

>> Ensure that you are following the correct procedure for inserting and using the cleaning tape in your tape drive. The tape drive may have specific instructions for how to load and run a cleaning tape. Refer to your tape drive's user manual or documentation for guidance on this.

>> Ensure that your tape drive's firmware and any associated software are up to date. Sometimes, updating the firmware can resolve compatibility issues or improve tape drive performance.

>> Examine the cleaning tape closely to make sure it is not physically damaged or contaminated. If it appears damaged or dirty, it may not function correctly.

>> If you continue to experience issues despite these troubleshooting steps, it's a good idea to contact HPE support for assistance. They can provide guidance specific to your hardware and software configuration and may be able to help you resolve the issue or provide further recommendations.

Remember to always handle tape drives and tapes with care, as they are sensitive and can be easily damaged. Following the manufacturer's instructions and best practices is essential for maintaining the reliability of your backup system.

I hope this gives some insights! 

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
pieteryts
Visitor

@Kenvil-LHT 

Hi Kenvil,

Do you have any updates on your situation?

We have the exact situation right now on our MSL3040. The TL and drive throw 4005 and 4065 error and won't do backup.

Cleaning using C7879A also cannot be done with exact error like yours.

Cheers,

Pieter

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Pieter,

Good day!

Check out these general steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the problem:

>> Verify the status of the tape drives and the library itself. Look for any error messages or indicators on the library's display panel.

>> Ensure that your tape library and tape drives have the latest firmware updates. Visit the HPE support website: https://support.hpe.com/ to download and install the latest firmware for your MSL3040 model.

>> Review the logs or error messages generated by the tape drives. This information can provide more details about the nature of the issue.

>> Make sure that you are using the correct cleaning tape model specified for your HPE MSL3040. Using an incompatible cleaning tape may result in errors.

>> Check the condition of the cleaning tape. If it appears damaged or worn, replace it with a new, unexpired cleaning tape.

>> If the automated cleaning process fails, you may need to perform a manual cleaning using a cleaning cartridge. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for manual cleaning.

If the issue persists, Please contact HPE support for assistance. Provide them with detailed information about the error codes and any troubleshooting steps you have taken.

>> Ensure that the tape library is operating in the recommended environmental conditions, including temperature and humidity levels.
Remember that handling tape libraries and drives requires caution, and it's essential to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations. If you're not comfortable performing certain actions or if the issue persists, it's best to involve technical support from HPE for further assistance

Hope this give some insights, let me know

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
pieteryts
Visitor

Hi Vinky,

Thank you for your reply.

I have open case with HPE and upon inspection they find the unit to be defective and send a replacement unit.

So if anyone happened to get the same issue need to replace the drive.

Thanks,

Pieter