StoreEver Tape Storage
1753642 Members
4857 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation Software For HP SureStore T20 Tape Drive

Ron Sweet

Installation Software For HP SureStore T20 Tape Drive

Hello: I have an older (Windows 2000) PC that has an HP SureStore T20 tape backup on it. I upgraded the hard drive some time ago, and since I no longer needed to use the tape drive, I did not install the CD installation software on it. However, now I need to be able to access something on one of those 20 GB Travan TR-5 tapes. The problem is, when I went to find the software, I have the case but the CD is missing! I've looked everywhere and it's no where to be found. So I went to HP's web site and downloaded everything they had on the SureStore T20 tape drive, including the drivers. However, the downloads on HP's web site do not seem to include the installation software that is required to run the tape drive. I'm assuming that you cannot restore files using the tape drive without the installation software on your PC. And if this is the case, how will I be able to access the storage tapes using the drive? Any help is appreciated! Thanks, Ron
4 REPLIES 4
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Here's what I've got from a guy who was around Way Back When:
---------
The SureStore T20 drive shipped with a copy of Colorado Backup II software (version 8 or 9, I can├в t remember which). The good news is that the software is available for download (as-is, no support possible given the age of the product and the people who worked on it). The bad news is the only platforms supported are Windows 95/98/Me, NT 4.0, and Windows 2000. Take a look at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNum=C4447A&prodName=hp+colorado+20GB+external+travan+drive&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=63935#Microsoft%20Windows%20NT%204.0.
-----------

If the tapes were written with Colorado Backup II, looks like you are in luck.

ELSE: If they were written with some other program, you'll have to find out which one. A linux 'dd' of the tape and inspection of the first block or two can probably help with that task. Then you'd need to track down an eval copy that would allow you to read and restore the tape.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Ron Sweet

Thanks. I downloaded and installed the software successfully. And yes, it is the same exact Colorado/HP software that I was using before. That's the good news. The bad news is, for some reason, the tape drive is not reading the tapes that contain my data. The error message I get: "TapeAlert: The tape drive has a hardware fault. 1. Turn the tape drive off and then on again. 2. Restart the operation. 3. If the problem persists, call the tape drive supplier helpline. Check the tape drive users manual for device specific instructions on turning the device power on and off." And then: "The backup device reported an unrecoverable hardware error. Please insert another media to continue"

Okay, it's an internal drive, so there is no way to turn the drive on or off (except by restarting the computer, which I tried). I tried a number of tapes, all with the same result. In the past when I did this, I remember that as soon as you insert a tape you hear the "whirling" sound start as the drive reads the tape. Now, when you go to "device view" to see what is on the tape, it does not even ATTEMPT to read the tapes (you get the error message right away), so I know the issue has nothing to do with the media (and yes, these tapes were all made using the same Colorado software). And by all accounts, the PC recognizes the tape drive just fine (it shows up in the hardware list, says the device is working properly when you troubleshoot, is located under Start/Programs/HP Colorado Backup II, etc., etc.) So I'm at a loss as to why this is not working when it certainly should be. Please let me know any thoughts.

Ron
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Perhaps something's gotten stuck in the drive; lubricant dried out, or....?

You can try to fix it -- I guess disassembly might be interesting, if not likely to be successful -- or you can purchase a used/refurbished drive. I saw some on ebay.com for under $50 shipped.
--
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Oh, one other option -- I'm sure you could find a data recovery service that has this model of tape drive and would be willing to read the tape and transfer the contents to, say, DVD media, for a fee.
--