StoreEver Tape Storage
1755641 Members
3316 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5030 - BExec 9.0 - I/O-Error - Cartridge Problem ???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gerhard Kilian
Occasional Advisor

MSL5030 - BExec 9.0 - I/O-Error - Cartridge Problem ???

Dear all,
we have a MSL5030 with 1 LTO connected to a Proliant DL380G3 with WIN2003 Server and Veritas BackupExec 9.0. All the hardware is only 10 weeks old. During a Backup we got several warning like this:
"Warning - The memory in the tape cartridge has failed, which reduces performance.
Do not use the cartridge for further backup operations."

All the tapes are from HP and new. The backup runs good on 6 tapes and on 5 tapes these warning appears. We have updated all the drivers and the software, but the warnings are still there. I can├В┬┤t believe, that the cartridges are damaged.

Before the driver update we got some error messages like this:
" Backup set #1 on storage media #2 Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media. Error reported: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

or

"Failed Final error code: 0000045d HEX Final error description: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Final error category: Other Errors"

Does anybody have an idea
6 REPLIES 6
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL5030 - BExec 9.0 - I/O-Error - Cartridge Problem ???

try to read them with write protection enable on the cartridge

try to update the LTO FW to last release

perform test with StorageWorks L&TT and follow the suggestions
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Gerhard Kilian
Occasional Advisor

I changed the tapes and when I do an inventory i got some more error messages in the servers event log, please the attached file.

There are a lot of SCSI-Errors and Changer-Errors
meloni
Honored Contributor

hi,
I suggest youto run L&TT and post the Sticket here.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00023676&locale=en_US

I/O errors seems related to a bad scsi communication, check for bad cable, broken or bent pins in the connectors, loose connections, bad terminator.
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
Gerhard Kilian
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Marino, the second posting is after driver upgrade. So I will make the tests with LTT on Monday, 1st of December.
Gerhard Kilian
Occasional Advisor

I made serveral test with LTT and so I can reproduce the problem. Also I find out, that both the MSL and the LTO-Drive firmware is out of date (E30 for the drive), so I made an update to E38 for the drive and 414 for the MSL. After that als the tests with LTT show good results. Then I made a fully backup of 600 GByte and everythings works fine.

PS: How can I mark this case as solved ???
meloni
Honored Contributor
Solution

Glad to heard you solved the problem ;-))

you do not need to close anything, Just assign some points if the solution was usefull

ciao

marino