3468 Online
108845 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6030 Library - Auto load of tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1134397

MSL6030 Library - Auto load of tape

Can the MSL6030 be configured so that when I load tapes it automatically loads the tape in slot 1?

3 REPLIES 3
CA859951
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MSL6030 Library - Auto load of tape

Warner:

Generally... No.

Without some backup software (Veritas or the like) to "control" the library... you would have to execute a "move media" operation from the console. Then it would depend if you were in random or sequential mode.
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
CA1134397

Thanks for the reply.

Can you direct me to some documentation that discusses the random or sequential modes and when/why I would use each?
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Sorry for the delay in responding... here is the MSL6030 User Guide: http://h200007.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg75254/lpg75254.pdf

Generally, HP will tell you that they "don't support sequential mode" blah blah blah... but you can configure the library to work sequential. Just note that when you do set the sequential option that a "great majority" of the features and functionality of the library are disabled or not available for use. It becomes a "dumb loader"! Also, sequential mode only works with the left hand side drive!

One of the biggest gotchas in using the library in sequential mode is MAKE SURE you have the bios up to date! Version 4.23 is the latest for the library but 4.21 will work too. There are updates to the drive bios as well. Make sure you have F43W version 6.942 for the LTO-2.

Do you have the Library and Tape Tools loaded on the server you have the MSL6030 attached to? If not, I highly recommend loading it: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html

I hope this helps you.
"Now is the only thing that's real!"