1748080 Members
5075 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple tape errors

Ben Wicks
Occasional Advisor

Multiple tape errors

I am experiencing multiple write errors with a HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader LTO-3 Ultrium 920.

I have tried multiple tapes and have run a drive test using several tapes and it has failed each time. I have also used a cleaning tape several times.

I have attached a support ticket (hopefully it's the right one), do I need to replace the drive? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben
11 REPLIES 11
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

upgrade firmware run LTO drive assesment test you also have TUR
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842411/en

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Ben Wicks
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I have now updated the firmware and run the test again and it still fails (ticket attached). I have checked the registry and TUR has already been disabled.

Have you got any other ideas?

Ben
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

attacht the resultlog.ltt
Pablo Alv Siles
Ben Wicks
Occasional Advisor

Ok here you go.
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

got
Please re-run the test using a different test tape.

try using another tape if the test fails then the drive is broken if it passes then the problem is TUR try calling tech support so we can solve the tur problem.

Pablo Alv Siles
Ben Wicks
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I have run the test using another tape and it seems it has failed as before. I have attached the log.

Does this mean the drive has a problem?
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

The drive is no longer recommended for use.

Will need to replace it
Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The polling is going to LUN 1 which usually means that you have installed the HP media changer driver and you need to create a registry entry "AutoRun=0" under hpuln32 or hpuln64 just like you did in hplto to disable TUR polling to LUN 0.
Ben Wicks
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Curtis, I have added AutoRun = 0 to hpuln32 and ran the drive assessment test again. Unfortunately I am getting the same error as above.

I assume that the drive is broken, or is there something else I can do to fix it? I have run a cleaning tape several times.