6207 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: D2D with NTBackup

Spenceley Joe
Occasional Contributor

D2D with NTBackup

Hi,
I am new to D2D and can't seem to get my head around it.

The initial setup has detected the device and created Autoloader 1. Autoloader 1 has 8 cartridges.

In device manager I can see the medium changer and the tape drive so those seem to have been created propertly.

What I can't seem to do is actually load a tape from the autoloader into the tape drive.

When I run a backup with NTBackup I get the following error.
"There is no free media available with the selected type."

What have I missed?

Thanks,
Joe
2 REPLIES 2
ashraf.khalifah1
Occasional Contributor

Hi
may you need to manualy initialize and free the media removable storage manager
thomasr
Respected Contributor

NTBackup doesn't comprehend autoloaders or libraries -- it's designed for standalone tape only. You can manually create multiple standalone tape drives in the D2D, but I don't recommend this, as there's no way in the device to unload a virtual standalone tape drive -- and you'll want to, when its cartridge gets full!

Several of the D2D100 family included a free copy of Data Protector Express Single Server Edition, which is all you need to get the D2D Backup System up and running, backing up a single server.

In a network environment with more than one server, software like HP Data Protector, HP Data Protector Express, Symantec BackupExec, or CA ARCserve will make full use of the D2D Backup System.

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence