1752319 Members
5480 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Changing P4500 Network Settings

mhc19
Occasional Advisor

Changing P4500 Network Settings

I'm needing to relocate several nodes in some clusters to another datacenter in my environment.  I need to also change the network settings for the devices.  Can I just simply change the IP/subnet/GW,etc. at the console screen or via CMC?  Is there a documented procedure for this.

Some of the nodes are in multisite clusters now, 1/2 of those nodes are moving and needing IP address changes.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

When you get to the new location just configure the nic from the console.

You can just break the bond, setup 1 NIC with and address and configure them from the CMC much simpler.

Also you will proababy wont to shut down the management group so you dont lose quourm.

mhc19
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply Emilo.  Once the IP address changes, will it still be seen in the cluster/mgmt group?  That's my concern, doesn't the other nodes look for nodes via IP address?

I don't want to shutdown the whole group, I have a FOM running to keep quorum. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I would be concerned about that as well... CMC doesn't follow IP exactly as it has some tie in with MAC address, but I'm not sure if it uses BOTH.

If I were doing this, I would be sure to first turn off any running managers on the nodes that I'm going to be moving.  Then, I would change the sites of the nodes that are going to move and/or create the new logical site in CMC and assign the servers to be moved into that site.  I would then let any restripe complete locally... after all of that is done, I would finally change the IP information on each node through CMC which would cause each node individually to lose communication w/ the cluster, but would then allow the MAC and IP information to be current on the cluster.  I would then manually shut down each node to be moved and then do the physcial move and then when I turned them on in the new site it will come up correct and everything should just work.

Stephan_K
HPE Pro

Hi,

there is an old but still valid document which describes the steps you have to take.

You will find it here: http://www.itatonce.com/Documents/DOC/lefthand_bestpractice_reip_nsm_120107.doc

Hope this helps.

KR
Stephan

I am an HPE employee.
MRidsdale
Frequent Visitor

Hello mhc19,

Sorry for dragging up this old thread but how did you get on with this move as we have a similar one to do.

did the following solution work?

“If I were doing this, I would be sure to first turn off any running managers on the nodes that I'm going to be moving.  Then, I would change the sites of the nodes that are going to move and/or create the new logical site in CMC and assign the servers to be moved into that site.  I would then let any restripe complete locally... after all of that is done, I would finally change the IP information on each node through CMC which would cause each node individually to lose communication w/ the cluster, but would then allow the MAC and IP information to be current on the cluster.  I would then manually shut down each node to be moved and then do the physical move and then when I turned them on in the new site it will come up correct and everything should just work.”