1748104 Members
4675 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

error adding additional disks to StoreVirtaul VSA on Hyper-V

Dozero
Occasional Advisor

error adding additional disks to StoreVirtaul VSA on Hyper-V

I recently attempted to add additional storage to our VSA cluster running on Hyper-V. I successfully added the the disks to the array controller, created 2 LUNs, and presented them to the VSA VM as pass-through disks. In the CMC, when I attempt to add the disks which are now recognized by the VSA, I receive the error: "could not hot-add the disk because one or more of the required disks are not present or are not powered-up" .

What is the proper process to add additional storage to my VSA (SAN/iQ 9.5) on Hyper-V 2008 R2 ?

5 REPLIES 5
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: error adding additional disks to StoreVirtaul VSA on Hyper-V

did you power off the VSA before adding the disks?  even though hyper-v allows you to hot-add the SCSI virtual disks, the VSA won't accept hot-swapping disks and you have to power off the VSA first.  Then you should be able to power it on and add the disks the the stripe.

Dozero
Occasional Advisor

Yes, it was powered down before adding the pass-through disks.  Should I try another power cycle?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I can't remember, but I think there was something I had to right click on the disk in the hardware info page and it let me initilize the disk there as well, but I think once the system saw the disk I could go into the raid setup and add the extra disks.

One time I did it, I just couldn't get it to cooperate and just re-created the VSA from scratch, but that isn't the way its supposed to go.  YOu should just be able to shut down the VSA, add the disks, initilize and then go.

Dozero
Occasional Advisor

I power cycled one of the VSAs in the cluster.  Same error when I try to add. 

Another thing I noticed is that is shows 5 disks available:  2 active (previous config), 2 uninitialized (two new drives just added), and 1 off or removed drive.  The off drive shows as drive 3, the uninitialized as 4 & 5.  I'm not sure where this came from as we only ever added the two drives in the Hyper-V settings.  This is mirrored on the other VSA in the cluster.

Do you think I will have to remove the VSA from the two node cluster, then add it again, and repeat with the other VSA once the cluster has restriped ?

Dozero
Occasional Advisor

I seemed to have resolved the problem. 

I powered down each VSA individually, recreated the Host RAID to present 3 LUNs instead of 2, removed the old LUNs from the VSA VM, added the 3 new LUNs, and powered up.  All three disks appears as uninitialized as before but I am now able to right click and add to the RAID.  I suspect that the roque drive appearing as removed was causing the problems.  Occupying 3 disks instead of 2 may have resolved it.