108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mixing LH P4300 and P4500

SOLVED
Go to solution
Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor

Mixing LH P4300 and P4500

Hi, according to the attached image, SAN01 and SAN02 are 3TB per box. SAN 03,04,05 are 6TB per box. however the usable space (colum four) remain exactly the same, just like if all SAN03,04,05 boxes were a 3TB box. Can someone let me know where all my new space went?

thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
fqu
Regular Visitor
Solution

It's because all of your 5 systems are in the same cluster. In this case the StoreVirtual OS use the lowest size of all the systems as the base for caculating the available size.
a_o
Valued Contributor

As you start adding volumes to your cluster, your available space will vary depending on if you're creating NR10 or NR5 volumes. You could even create an NR0 volume.

The usable column shows what's available per NSM for the purpose of creating volumes that spans nodes in the cluster.

Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor

And How am I supposed to reclaim this space?

Should I create another cluster and add those 3 members alone?

thanks,

a_o
Valued Contributor

Depends...

From your screenshot, it seems that you've already provisioned some volumes on the 3 nodes already.

You would first need to 'take care' of those volumes first. 

It might be necessary to  migrate all of the existing volumes to another (3rd) cluster or backup and delete all of existing volumes, before you can re-configure your management group so that you have mutiple clusters to re-create your volumes in.

Be aware that you'll be limited to NR0 and NR10 for volumes  in the 2 node cluster, and NR0, NR10, NR5 for volumes in the 3 node cluster.

Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor

There are no new volumes created. We just took the existing ones and incremented their protection. However my question remains unclear.
If I mix two types of LH systems, will i lose the space of the bigger systems and cannot be used?
IS the only way the creation of a new cluster with these new systems?
Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor

I found this document.

So the option will be to create another cluster with the new equipments. This is so bad....I have different raw capacities.

money wasted in the P4500 we got.

HP P4000 SAN Solutions - Mixing Nodes with Different Storage Size in the Same Cluster

Information

Is it possible to integrate 2X P4500 G2 on cluster with 2X P4300 G2 to increase disk space?

Details

One can mix Storage Systems with different RAID levels in a Cluster, but note that the capacity limitation applies to the available capacity as determined by RAID, not the raw disk capacity.

If the user mix Storage Systems within a Cluster that have different capacities due to different RAID configurations or due to different raw capacities, then the other Storage Systems within the Cluster will only provide the same storage as the smallest capacity Storage System within the Cluster. This space limitation stays in force until the smallest Storage System is replaced with one of the same or larger size as the other Storage Systems within the Cluster.

Thus one can add new Storage Systems to a Cluster that have a higher capacity than the Storage Systems that were purchased originally. As long as the user retains the older, smaller Storage Systems in the Cluster, one will not be able to utilize all the space in the new nodes. Once the user replaces all of the smaller nodes with the newer, larger nodes, the user will be able to fully utilize all the space in the new nodes.