Re: P4500 Firmware confirmation

SOLVED
Go to solution
cgrvy
Occasional Advisor

P4500 Firmware confirmation

Hi,

I have been looking at this:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/doc/p1572577490/v68421/FWServerSupportGuide9.30.pdf

Can anyone confirm that this HP Smart Update Firmware DVD version 9.30 can be used for P4500's?

Many thanks,

Cgrvy

6 REPLIES 6
lando_uk
Advisor

I dont think so.

All firmwares for the P4000 are issued as software patches, e.i 10054-02 etc - It takes a long time for firmwares that appear on normal servers to get validated for Lefthands.  For example we are still on a 2010 bios and the P410 raid controller is still on v 3.66.

cgrvy
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Lando, do you have a link to the latest downloads for a P4500?

lando_uk
Advisor

Its best to just fire it up, get it on the network, use the CMC to download all the patches and use that to manage your patches.

There are a few patches that dont appear in the CMC, like disk backplane, disk firmwares etc, but unless you have a specific problem then just use the patches that the CMC recommends.

See here for manual downloads:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4209090&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=4118659&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54
cgrvy
Occasional Advisor

I thought that the CMC only managed the software - i.e. SANiQ are you saying that the CMC will also upgrade the firmware (BIOS, iLO etc) on the P4500 node?

cgrvy
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Just found a document caleld "P4300 & P4500 Firmware Compatibility Matrix " that outlines the upgrade here:

SAN/iQ Software
• Follow the SAN/iQ Upgrade Guide.
• Download the required Centralized Management Console (included in the SAN/iQ Management SW DVD) and any other software components you need from www.hp.com/go/P4000downloads.
• Utilize the CMC Online Upgrades tool to upgrade storage systems.

BIOS
• For DL320s download the latest BIOS and use the Creating a bootable USB Device with Supplements or Installing Firmware Using using iLO 2/LO100 procedures for installation.
• For P4x00 download the latest BIOS to a Windows based system and run the executable file. Insert an empty 512 MB – 2 GB USB Key (This process will destroy all information on the key) then navigate to C:\SWMedia\SPxxxxx\ROMPaq USB Key\ and execute HBQUSB.exe (Run as Administrator if using UAC protected system), once complete remove the USB key and using CMC power down the storage system. Insert USB Key into storage system, and power it on. The system should boot from the USB key, using a KVM follow the on-screen instructions.

iLO 2/LO100
• For P4x00 G2 download either latest iLO 2 supplement and use the Creating a bootable DVD with Supplements procedure for installation or download the latest iLO 2 HTTP User Interface Download and run the executable selecting the “Extract” option. Once the files are extracted open the iLO 2 HTTP interface, click on the Administrtation tab, and select the Browse… button on the Select New Firmware Image Screen. Upload the .bin file previously extracted and select Send

Firmware Image.
• For DL320s download either latest iLO 2 supplement and use the Creating a bootable DVD with Supplements procedure for installation or download the latest iLO 2 HTTP User Interface Download and run the executable selecting the “Extract” option. Once the files are extracted open the iLO 2 HTTP interface, click on the Administrtation tab, and select the Browse… button on the Select New Firmware Image Screen. Upload the .bin file previously extracted and select Send Firmware Image.
• For P4x00 download the latest LO100 to a Windows based system and run the executable file. Insert an empty 512 MB – 2 GB USB Key (This process will destroy all information on the key) then navigate to C:\SWMedia\SPxxxxx\ROMPaq USB Key\ and execute HBQUSB.exe (Run as Administrator if using UAC protected system), once complete remove the USB key and using CMC power down the storage system. Insert USB Key into storage system, and power it on. The system should boot from the USB key, using a KVM follow the on-screen instructions.

Thanks for your help on this.

cgrvy

lando_uk
Advisor

@cgrvy wrote:

I thought that the CMC only managed the software - i.e. SANiQ are you saying that the CMC will also upgrade the firmware (BIOS, iLO etc) on the P4500 node?

It does firmwares too, some of those downloads you see in the CMC are raid controller updates etc.