New Discussion

Re: STROVIRTUAL 4000 switch from ALB to A/P

SOLVED
Go to solution
testmado662
Regular Advisor

STROVIRTUAL 4000 switch from ALB to A/P

Helo,

We get old P4000 nodes with 11.0 lefthand version. We planned to upgarde those nodes to the latest version.

We made a mistake at first install, we configured ALB on switch which don't support LACP. We would like to switch ALB to Active / Passive and we would like to do it before to upgrade because new Lefthand version needs HPE maintenace operator action.

Does it's true we could easily modifying ALB to A/P in previous lefthand version ?

Does it exist a procédure to do it, without to loose data hosted on nodes?

On previous post, RAID Repair on P4000, a link to a procedure helped us to repair RAID. Does we have to stop database from CLI before to break ALB ?

Thanks for your help

9 REPLIES 9
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

I don't think your raid will change because you are just changing or recreating the bond

the system it self will not change as the MAC address remains the same.

but you should have console connection to the system if you have to re-enter

the IP address. Also If it is configured ALB it does not need LACP switch support

see enclosed links

HP StoreVirtual Storage - Configuring Network Interface Bonds 

Regards

Give a KUDO if this helps

testmado662
Regular Advisor

hello Giladzzz,

Thanks for the link and we've already try to suppress ALB in order to switch to A/P and that don't work.

In procedure, it's noticed we loose IP @ after bound suppress ans we have to be connected to P4000 Console over ILO by example. But I don't know if we've to stop BD before to suppress Bound.

I'm not sure but procedure depend of Lefthand version. The link refrenced a Lefthand 10.0 but that changed after 12.5 and I don't know if HPE suport have to enter commands over administrator account or if we can do it with CMC credential.

Thanks for yout help,

Regards

StorageMike
HPE Pro

Hi

I assume by DB you mean the appliaction running on the hosts connectd to the P4000.

From what I've read making changes "might" cause you to loose connection so based on that I've always played safe and stopped any applicataions connected before making any changes. The loss should only be brief but this might be enough to upset the DB. 

Can you clarify what you mean by repair of RAID please? Are you seeing a specific error?

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

testmado662
Regular Advisor

Hello,

You confirm what I thought and stop LeftHand processes before todo something on P4000. I spoke about SAN Raid repair procedure because we have to stop process besore to repair Raid. in that procedure, the command to execute is run="servicectl dbd_store stop".

If we execute that command, could we work safely on P4000 or other commandes are to be executed?

When nodes was always under guarantee, I'm remember HPE support did a SSH connection and execute some comands. We tried to do the same, modify ALB to A/P and we didn't success. Fo me, only deference about commands execute from SSH.

I spoke about RAID, because command to execute was referenced inside procedure https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=mmr_kc-0112618.

Thanks for your help

StorageMike
HPE Pro

The artical is very old but it suggests the commands can be run while the system is up and running,.

The resync and reconfigure will cause all the data and configuraton to be lossed on the system being repaired, it will need to sync up from the remaining cluster nodes. I'd recommend taking a backup before hand.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

testmado662
Regular Advisor

@StorageMike 

Do you speak about RAID rebuild or ALB switching to Active passive ?

Thanks

StorageMike
HPE Pro
Solution

The RAID rebuild detailed in the article above, it implies it can be done online

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

testmado662
Regular Advisor

Hello StorageMike,

We won't take any risk with those P4000 and did modifications without data hosted on SAN..

Thanks for your help

testmado662
Regular Advisor

hello,

We did the replication change and works correctly.

Thanks for your help