4587 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

2810 to 2810 link aggregation

jxcclarke
Occasional Visitor

2810 to 2810 link aggregation

Hi

I would like to pose a question to the HP experts, I have two HP 2810 switches, one being a 48g and the other a 24g both located in separate buildings by about 100 ft

We have severn 1 gig links connected between the two switches and before potentially purchasing a care pack for technical assistance I would like to know if it is possible to trunk or aggregate the 7 links into 1 severn gig link / tunnel.

Any help or advise would be much appreciated as im reading conflicting reports.

4 REPLIES 4
Pourl
Frequent Advisor

Re: 2810 to 2810 link aggregation

Hi,

I hope I had understood u right. If u like to connect your both switches via 1 virtual link consist of 7 gbit links, read the folowing guide:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/2810-MgmtCfg-July2007-59914732.pdf

Start at page 11-1.

Note that  u have to configure the new trunk-group "trk1" with all vlan information of the old link.

Furthermore this virtual link handels the traffic flow-based. Each flow could become a maximum of 1 gbit.

jxcclarke
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Yes thats the plan, as a test i connected 4 of the links last night in trk1 with lacp and the same corrosponding linked ports on the other switch but after saving the settings on the second switch both of them dropped offline and i had to pop into the site to undo the changes via the console cable.

No other switches were affected just the two in question which im trying to link with the 7 1gig links.

Pourl
Frequent Advisor

I would do it in following steps:

1. be sure that a spanning tree protocol is enabled

2. I would disable the 6 new links on each switch

3. I would add the 6 links to the trk1, I dont use lacp just trunk, it works fine and is protocol independent

4. Now u have to add all vlan config form the orginal link to trk1, on each switch

5. I would connect the links physically

6. I would enable the links, initially on the switch which isnt in your building

7. Now your STP should block the old link and trk1 is the forwarding link, just add the old link to trk1 and you got your 7 gb link

jxcclarke
Occasional Visitor

Thanks alot it worked a treat.