5714 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Console unaccessible - Cisco 3020

Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

Console unaccessible - Cisco 3020

Hello,

I'm working with a c-class 7000 enclosure which does not have any virtual connect manager.

For whatever reason I cannot connect via serial console to the Cisco 3020 switch that resides in interconnect bay 1. Though had no problem so connecting to bay 2,4,5,6,7,8. (All are cisco 3020)

There is no IP configured for the switch, so I have no meens of getting at any sort of web configuration interface. The serial console does not work. And there is no virtual connect manager.

I need to somehow get into this device so I can update it's firmware.

Thank you for any feedback,

-Aaron
7 REPLIES 7
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

Aaron,

Have you tried resetting the switch to factory defaults?

See section: Using Express Setup to Assign a VLAN 1 IP Address to the Switch
Module in the Getting Started Guide for the 3020.
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

You can set the IP adddress using the OA EBIPA (Enclosure Bay IP Addressing). This will then display a Management Console option under the Interconnect Bay information for this switch.

OR, If you have a 9-pin to rj-45 cable, attach to the management port on the back of the Cisco 3020 and use hypterminal in to do the initial setup.

OR you can have the 3020 pick up a DHCP address if you have a DHCP server on the same network as the OA (alternatively you can configure the OA to act as a DHCP server).

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01009086/c01009086.pdf
Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

You can set the IP adddress using the OA EBIPA (Enclosure Bay IP Addressing). This will then display a Management Console option under the Interconnect Bay information for this switch.

OR, If you have a 9-pin to rj-45 cable, attach to the management port on the back of the Cisco 3020 and use hypterminal in to do the initial setup.

OR you can have the 3020 pick up a DHCP address if you have a DHCP server on the same network as the OA (alternatively you can configure the OA to act as a DHCP server).

-
Thank you Terri,

The EBIPA does sound interesting, as thus far, there is no IP configured by default on any of the devices. For the other 5 cisco 3020s in the enclosure, their vlan1 & fastethernet0 were enabled, but no IP address assigned.

I looked in the HPSIM help index, and it returned zero results for 'EBIPA' or the expanded equivalent.

Hyperterminal is unfortunately out of the question, as my first message states, for whatever reason, the management port on the Cisco 3020 in interconnect bay 1 does not work. (I may try just swapping it with another of the 3020s, see if it's the bay's configuration causing the problem or indeed the cisco device)

I dont believe the enclosure is configured for DHCP assignments, and I dont know immediately how to check such for assigning IPs to interconnect devices. I believe our configuration is we have a central DHCP on the general network, one enclosure has it's own subnet, but that one is fortunate enough to get the virtual connect manager. This one though the blades get auto DHCP, none of the Cisco3020s did. The Brocade ae732a in this enclosure did however get autoassigned IPs and were easily managed.

Sorry if this is a little conveluted.

And to Denis, thank you, I dont know if that'll work, it will take a bit of work to sort it out, as I dont immediately have access to a laptop, nor can I currently isolate the network for the device. I will see what I can do when I unplug everything to reconfigure wiring this weekend.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Aaron,

For information on configuring EBIPA (or any other feature in the Onboard Administrator) see the OA User Guide:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

page 54

If you get an IP address assigned via EBIPA, you can access the Cisco 3020 via the Management Console in the OA. This will then let you select Express Setup (for instance) where you can enable Telnet.
Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

Aaron,

For information on configuring EBIPA (or any other feature in the Onboard Administrator) see the OA User Guide:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

page 54

If you get an IP address assigned via EBIPA, you can access the Cisco 3020 via the Management Console in the OA. This will then let you select Express Setup (for instance) where you can enable Telnet.
----------------

You're quite right, and it worked well... at first.

I can do as you described, but when I get into the switch, to 'Express Setup', if I try to enable Telnet, it says I have to enter a valid number (regarding IP), but anything I enter in the IP fields, is said to be conflicting with the address the EBIPA set on FA0.

I tried assigning a different subnet, but the moment I did that I lost connection to the web manager and telnet was still not working.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Aaron,

I simulated what you just tried (reset my 3020 to factory defaults) and got the same results you did...I was not able to enable Telnet from the Express Setup with just an EBIPA IP address.
I got a serial to rj-45 cable & used a laptop to get into the cli and set the IP address with no problem. After looking at the Setup documentation, you will have to go with a local cable connection. Since there is no serial port on the 3020, one end of the cable has to be a rj-45.
Diogo_Conrado
Frequent Advisor

Do you have the hp spare part number for this cable?

Tks,

Diogo