6230 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Difference between LACP and Trunk?

JorisK
Regular Advisor

Difference between LACP and Trunk?

Hi,

I'm currently busy connecting two Procurve 2810 switches to eachother. I've read the entire trunking section but for me it's still unclear what to choose, LACP or Trunk.

Which method is better in my case? All i want to do is make a large 4GB trunk with multiple vlans running over it.

I'm currently have 4 ports trunked in LACP mode.
4 REPLIES 4
IJdo Dijkstra
Occasional Contributor

In your scenario, both options are equally valid.

LACP is a protocol that negotiates trunking between devices, so devices connected to each other can tell trunking is possible. Plain trunking just sets the ports to trunking, so the other side has no way of knowing trunking is configured, unless you explicitly configure it. With switches this usually isn't a problem, servers tend to rely on LACP more (at least, in our environment :D).

JorisK
Regular Advisor

Thanks!

Is there any difference in bundeling the bandwith between the two protocols?

Which protocol whould be best practise to choose for just connecting two swtiches?
IJdo Dijkstra
Occasional Contributor

The trunking itself is the same, it's just how the switch knows it should trunk a set of links.

Best practice is a tough question. I've seen arguments both for and against, I believe it's mostly personal preference by whoever sets the standard for a network.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

There is an old adage which may apply here, or may not :)

"Standard is better than better."

there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows