3722 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE OfficeConnect 1920S 8G not detecting new cable connexions

Thomas Hobson
Occasional Advisor

HPE OfficeConnect 1920S 8G not detecting new cable connexions

Hello,

I don't know if my device is defective or if other users also have this problem.

After a few weeks/months in continous operation, my HPE OfficeConnect 1920S 8G device doesn't detect when I plug-in a new device cable in a port. If I reboot via software the device, it still doesn't detect the new device.

I am obliged to power it down and restart it.

I installed latest firmware 2.16.

It's not a defective cable or a defectice contact nor a defective new device. Because when I power-off and restart the switch the new device is correctly detected.

What is the usual guarantee period for this device if I'm the only user to exprerience this proble ?

Thanks for your advice.

Andrew

3 REPLIES 3
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hi Andrew!

I'd say it looks like a hardware issue, but it's a little bit suspicious that after a power cycle the link is detected again... May be it's some kind of incompatibity issue...

1920S 8G has two versions - HPE 1920S 8G Switch (JL380A) and HPE 1920S 8G PPoE+ 65W Switch (JL383A)
Do you have PoE or non-PoE version? Does that device with link issue use PoE?
Does the issue appear only with one particular device or for several connected devices?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Thomas Hobson
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

So I have the PoE version HPE 1920S 8G PPoE+ 65W Switch (JL383A).

I tried several different ports. With or without PoE port.

I tried to connect different type of devices. Laptops, printer, other switch, etc. The switch is in a sort of lethargic mode where it doesn't detect anything.

I tried different cables.

This problem is recurrent. Not just only one time. I had it several times. Needed to power-off and reboot the device.

So by you reply this is not a bug other users a experiencing ? First time it's been reported to HPE ?

Andrew

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

I couldn't find any case with similar simptoms resolved by s/w update, so chances are it is a hardware problem.

Since you are on the latest firmware version, the only feature that can lead to similar symptoms is EEE. Check the guide https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00003478en_us , page 196, "12 Green Features". Disable both "Auto Port Power-Down" and "Low-Power Idle (EEE)" and test.

If that won't help, open up a case for further troubleshooting and possible hardware replacement - https://techlibrary.hpe.com/OfficeConnect/?SKU=JL383A Your switch should be covered by Limited Lifetime Warranty and eligible for replacement if hardware defect is suspected.

Hope this helps!

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo