108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LLDP-MED in 26xx and 28xx

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bengt Sjoberg
Frequent Advisor

LLDP-MED in 26xx and 28xx

I am looking to implement Cisco CallManager and VOIP in our LAN/WAN. When discussing with a vendor it has been suggested that the 28xx series switches does not support LLDP-MED that can be used by Cisco phones to automatically connect to the right VLAN for VOIP.
When reading the specification for 28xx (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11993_div/11993_div.HTML) it states that LLDP-MED is supported.
On the other hand the same person said it was supported by the 26xx series.
I would be most grateful if somedone with experience could make this clear for me.
5 REPLIES 5
daniel wright_1
Advisor

i know who i would beleve out of a vendor who SUGGESTED its not supported and the official HP specs which say it is.

let me know how you get on though as we use a combo of 2650's and 2810s for our edge network and are also looking at implementing callmanager in the next few months.

Phil Brutsche
Solution

All current HP switches support LLDP.

HOWEVER:

I've never seen a Cisco product (routers, phones, switches, etc) support LLDP, and from what I have heard someone waiting for LLDP support will have to wait quite a long time.

Based on my experience, if you want a Cisco phone to correctly autodetect the separate VLANs for voice & data, you will need a Cisco PoE switch to connect it to.

There may be a way to configure the VLANs in the phone's config file using the native "skinny" firmware, but there is most definitely NOT a way to do it on a phone using SIP firmware.
Bengt Sjoberg
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all replies so far (some paints awarded).
I should add that I was told by the same vendor that they had seen LLDP-MED support on the very latest release of firmware on the Cisco VOIP telephones. So the experience of not having seen it work with Cisco routers, switches and phones is probably correct,but maybe under change...
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Chris Stave
Advisor

A few things to keep in mind / notes of interest:

LLDP and LLDP-MED are not the same thing, LLDP-MED is primarily used for phones, and not everything that supports LLDP will support LLDP-MED.

Cisco recently did add LLDP and LLDP-MED support to some of their switches -- for information about the 3560's support for it, see http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008081da9e.html

I just tried looking through some of the 2800 docs for information on lldp-med and how it is supported, but didn't come up with much from a quick going-over. "supported" can be a weird word, especially when there are a variety of ways to support something like lldp-med.