1753872 Members
7622 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Manage ProCurve with SNMP

Philippe Desmarais

Manage ProCurve with SNMP

Hi there,

I know it is possible to manager a ProCurve switch with SNMP Manager with unrestricted write.

Using SNMPSET.exe as for my tests, I did the following command (i use v1 ONLY for my tests, i'll use v3 in production):

snmpset.exe -v1 -c public 10.100.25 iso.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.4.3.1.1.50 s "test_VLAN"

With that command, I can rename the VLAN_50 to test_VLAN.

BUT, I'd like to know if it's possible to Completely manage the switch with SNMP, for example, can I Create VLANs ? Can I assign ports to VLANs, Trunks, misc options ??

I'm a bit lost with this.

Thank you !
Phil
2 REPLIES 2
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

Re: Manage ProCurve with SNMP

Switch features that can be managed using SNMP would be dependent on the firmware of the switch - which varies by the models.
Some firmwares allow you to utilize a feature (say port access security) completely via SNMP and some firmwares will not - the only way in the latter case would be to do telnet/ssh/console to the device and execute commands.

The best bet would be to leave these intricacies to ProCurve Manager Plus (the Network Management platform) which can help you manage/monitor/update the switches in a better and uniform fashion.

check http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/management/index.htm

Hope that helps.
Philippe Desmarais

Re: Manage ProCurve with SNMP

Thanks,

I'll use SNMP for get-requests :)

Phil