108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM - updating switch software best practice

SOLVED
Go to solution
JeffKWI
Occasional Advisor

PCM - updating switch software best practice

I'm new to using PCM v3 to update the software on my switches. Is there a place in PCM to copy the primary image over to secondary before installing new software? I only see an option in software update to replace one or the other, but not backup the current. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor
Solution

You cant backup the image through PCM. When you install software, just place it on the image that is the older one and then set your switch to boot from that. this way keeps your previous image available for rollback.

If you want to keep both then you will need to download from the HP website or keep in file.

Hope that makes sense.
Jaap Laaij
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jeff,

With the PCM software update wizard you can copy the new version to the primary or secondary flash. You have to select it.
Then you can choose to reboot after the copying has succeeded.
When you select a group of switches to do the copying to, make sure all of te selected switches 'need' the new firmware in the primary or secondary flash. You can can do this by selcting all switches and run the 'show flash' command in the CLI wizard. If there are differences make a custom group with the same flash the new firmware has to be copied to.

hth
JeffKWI
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the help.
JeffKWI
Occasional Advisor

Thanks

Note that you can copy flash to flash within the ProCurve switches too.

I usually do the following:
switch# show flash
(check firmware versions in each location)

switch# copy flash flash secondary
(copies the primary flash to the secondary flash)

Then copy the new firmware file into the primary flash. That way you always have a known working flash in secondary, and you don't have to modify any boot parameters because it will always boot from the primary flash.