1752794 Members
5945 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sys Logging to PCM

Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Sys Logging to PCM

We have 3 8200 switches that I'd like to enable sys logging on to PCM. I've added the logging x.x.x.x command but nothing is showing in PCM (it works for other 5300 switches). I believe, because we have many routed vlans configured, the sys logs are originating from an address other than the one configured in PCM.

Is there any way to configure a source ip address for sys log messages?
5 REPLIES 5
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Edit: I've seen in the main PCM logs, sys log messages coming from the loopback address configured on the 8200s, so that answers part of the question. However I would still prefer to have messages coming from our vlan 1 address.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

That's great if they're coming from the loopback address. Can you delete the switch from PCM and rediscover it by it's loopback address instead? I believe the syslog data will start to show then.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

the router default uses i'ts fist interface that's "up" as router id.
A loopback-interface is allways up.
you can manually issue a
ip router-id IP-ADDR
command to change the default behaviour.
I think this will also be used for sending syslog messages.
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Thank you both, I'll try those suggestions. All our switches and routers use vlan 1 for management (10.5.1.x) whereas our loopback is 10.240.240.1. I'd like to maintain the vlan 1 map if possible.

We also have OSPF running so I'm slightly cautious about changing the router ID. Testing required I think :)
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

I've rediscovered the switch via its loopback interface but still no syslogs unfortunately.