New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to update software on ProCurve Switches via PCM 3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Burbage
Frequent Advisor

Unable to update software on ProCurve Switches via PCM 3

Can anyone help please?

I have PCM v3 and I'm trying to download the latest software versions for my switches via the "Global Configuration Management -> Software Update", in Preferences.

When I click "Download Now" i just get an error after a few seconds saying "Failed trying to retrieve file on date". I have tried setting the options to both TFTP/FTP and SCP, but it has the same results. the server does have internet access, but this doesn't seem to be working.

thanks for any help offered.
4 REPLIES 4
GoneSilent
Advisor

Firmware ver# and switch# please. Did you try and connect to the switch your self? no problems?
Mark Burbage
Frequent Advisor

Attached is a screen shot showing the issue in PCM. I thought it would go to the procurve website and download all the software versions available for my switches. Once this has been done then I could schedule the updates to run. is that not the case?
Ralf Krause
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Mark,

no, that's not what it does; instead, it _exactly_ does what it says:
"Download latest software version _list_ from HP".

This means, a little text file is downloaded, where the current (and past) software releases of all ProCurve switch series (including its file names on HP's FTP server) is listed in.

Once this list is available at the PCM server, each time you perform a software update for a switch, it first is checked if that SW file already is available locally. And if not, this file refers to the correct web download befor uploading it to the switch.

It's a kind of "daisy-chained process", which is described in the chapter "Managing Device Configurations -> Updating Switch Software" within the "PCM+ Admin Guide", which is availabe at http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/PCM-AdminGuide-Jan2010-5990-8850.pdf

Hope that helps,
Ralf
Mark Burbage
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Ralf for the reply.

So the download is actually downloading a list (procurve_firmware.prp) file which contains the latest information about the switches and their software.

Is there anywhere i can download this file from as the link within PCM+ doesn't work. I'll then put it in the server directory(server/data/download) and see if i can get the software schedule to work for the switches i need to update.

thanks again for all you help.