6089 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VLANs to act as different HUBs in Switch

peyushzach
Frequent Advisor

VLANs to act as different HUBs in Switch

Hi ,

I have a Doubt , Why cant Different Vlans assigned in a switch can act as different HUBs. IF there is no IP Assigned for the VLAN JUst untagg the ports to it and those ports will not let the traffic to go out of it . 

does anyone think this is right ?

please advise .. 

5 REPLIES 5
swaizey
Advisor

Yes, that would work, the traffic would be segregated.

They would work as a unmanaged switches though, not hubs.

peyushzach
Frequent Advisor

ok. what if i am using a layer 3 switch (2910 or 2610) .. they are managable Switch is it possible on these one's.

Thanks

swaizey
Advisor

Yes. It's fine even on layer 3 switches with routing enabled.

Just create a new VLAN.

Set all the required ports as untagged in the new VLAN.

Just don't set an IP for the new VLAN.

peyushzach
Frequent Advisor

ok.

now i explain a  scenario.

I configured 5 switches with VLANS on it and last switch (switch 5 ) i had to use it for VLANS + some other network traffic ( since no space in the rack for another switch). I thought this technique will work and i configured 10 ports as VLAN 200.

little bit about the setup:

VLAn are in 10.2.0.0/16 range subnet  .. i mean 10.2.2.1/24 vlan 1..10.2.3.1/24 vlan 2 ..like that.. and the native vlan (gateway of switch1 that goes to internet) is in the range of 192.168.0.0/23 .. i named it VLAN 99. and assigned IP 192.168.0.199.switches are connected in sw1-----sw2----sw3---sw4----sw5 order.  All switch has its on gateway so switch to switch communication is with IP address on it. ( i hope u understand this)

Now to the problem:

To above mentioned VLAN 200 i plugged in the traffic from 192.168.0.0/23 . and as soon as i plugged in devices to the port all the newtork in the switches(switch 1,2,3,4) gone down.

I dont understand why is that happend.. i didnt give any ip address to that vLAN 200 or nothing.

Please advise me in this

swaizey
Advisor

Not sure if I am following you now.
Post a diagram of your network, including VLANs, tagged ports, and how they connect together.