1748169 Members
4074 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backing Up MSR200x's on Solarwinds

stuart_d1
Advisor

Backing Up MSR200x's on Solarwinds

I also have a similar question open on the Solarwinds forums.

We are trying to get MSR200x devices to backup using Solarwinds, but I think that due to the level of encryption in use it keeps failing. Has anyone managed to get this to work and if so can you advise how?

4 REPLIES 4
jmpk
HPE Pro

Hi ,

Can you let us know what type of error message you will getting when you trying to back up the device ? 

Also did you try to manual back up a single device ? 

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
stuart_d1
Advisor

Hi ... apologies I guess I should have added some detail

No manual backup has been taken, and not quite sure what you expect from that. However, we had to get the latest version of putty to be able to connect as that was throwing up some form of key mismatch. We also have other MSR's deployed with another client that do backup. However, they have been out in the wild for a couple of years now whereras these are being deployed now. No douby the OS levels are slightly different, but pretty sure it is more to do with encryption or somesuch. Anywyay...

Now, if I try to SSH from within the Solarwinds app itself I get an error that says: "could not negotiate key exchange algorithm" and I see this in the logs on the device:

SSHS/6/SSHS_ALGORITHM_MISMATCH: SSH client 172.x.x.x failed to log in because of pubic key mismatch
SSHS/6/SSHS_DISCONNEC: SSH user (null) (IP 172.x.x.x) disconnected from the server

So I'm guessing there is also a key mismatch of some form going on. Trying a backup causes the same response on the device and Solarwinds fails stating 'connection refused'.

Thanks.

jmpk
HPE Pro

Hi 

Thanks for providing in detail,  Suspecting the switch could  low level encryption capbility . This happen when SSH client and the SSH server used different algorithms, we need to make that the SSH client and the SSH server use the same algorithm.. 

I suggest you to verify the below link and try to upgrade the encrytption level on the switch. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04387233

Also i suggest you to log a HPE support case  to investigaion on this 

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
stuart_d1
Advisor

Hi,

That link takes me to an article that suggests it is a mismatch on encryption levels, which to be fair I already know from the logs on the device. However, it isn't a 100% match as using teh latest version of putty (0.73) I can log on.

Anyway, as I am not overly familiar with these devices - what command can I issue to see what encryption levels / ciphers the device already has?

If I know that, then I can ask Solarwinds if they can match any of them as that is likely a quicker way to do this than getting the project team to update 150+ devices.