108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OSPF multiple areas

SOLVED
Go to solution
michelle79
Advisor

OSPF multiple areas

Hi, all our edge switches are 2920s and I recently updated firmware for OSPF support. We're now using OSPF area 1 but am trying to add area 0 to meet a new requirement however I get the error 0: Too many OSPF areas. I was of the understanding that we could have multiple OSPF areas... is this a limitation of the 2920s or should I have configured an area 0 first up?

Cheers,

M

3 REPLIES 3
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: OSPF multiple areas

Hello

I think only 1 area is allowed. This is what i found in the release notes:

OSPF Routed Access Support OSPF (OSPFv2 and OSPFv3) is supported on K, KA, KB platforms in earlier software releases. From 16.02.0008 onwards, OSPF Routed Access support is enabled on WB and WC platforms with the following limitations:

• Only one area is allowed for both OSPFv2 and OSPFv3
  • Same area ID should be used for OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 10 WB.16.02.0012 Release Notes
  • Maximum of 8 OSPF interfaces supported for each OSPFv2 and OSPFv3
  • ABR configuration and Virtual-links are not supported
  • Max supported routes: 200 for each OSPFv2 and OSPFv3
  • OSPFv3 tunnels and BFD are not supported.

I never tried to configure multiple area's on that switch model before, so i can't confirm if that is possible or not. I am just sharing what i found. :)

michelle79
Advisor

Thanks for responding. Looks like you're right. I just tried and can configure multiple areas on our core HP switches so nothing wrong with my commands.

Out of interest, where did you find this info?

Cheers!

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Hello

I found it in the release notes see following link , page 10.

And you can also find it in the datasheet of the newer model 2930 aruba switches, see following link2 , under Layer 3 routing.

Kind regards