1748179 Members
4015 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 1810 switch with large number of wireless clients

ssmalley77
Occasional Advisor

1810 switch with large number of wireless clients

we have a public wifi system which plugs into a 1810-48G switch (J9660A).  There is a Cisco 877 providing internet to this service

we are seeing numerous packets drop and it seems this switch is the culprit

We have a 2620 as available however this is used primarily for the phone system and is physically seperated for that reason.

I believe the amount of traffic going through the 1810 is exceeding its capacity however I have no way of confirming this.

any suggestions?  Should we look at the 2620 instead or look at another switch to handle this traffic?

Thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProCurve / ProVision-Based to Web and Unmanaged. - Hp Forum Moderator

16 REPLIES 16
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Do you have a network monitoring product that can use SNMP to gather utilisation stats on the 1810 switchports?

Which interface on the 1810 is the Cisco 877 patched to?

WHat is this interface's configueration?

What is the Cisco's interface configuration?

Have a look at the "Port Summary" page on the 1810 and see what the interface has for "received packets with error" andf "collisions".

ssmalley77
Occasional Advisor

Hey,

I have just finished running up a demo of netflow analyser by mangeengine...  if anyone wants to give me a quick rundown on what to do to get the 1810's in there that would be great, our ISP has configured the cisco and it is reporting to netflow successfully

I have attached a quick sketch of the configuration.  All the wireless infrastructure is linked to a core switch via fibre links and connect to sfp.

All wireless clients are NATed, there are just short of 50 WAP's in use with up to 3000 clients throughout a 4-8 hour period.

The core switch links to the 1810 via fibre (SFP Port on the 1810) no VLANs or otherwise configured

The 1810 has another 1810 uplinked to it for other devices on the LAN

and the Cisco is connected via ethernet to the first 1810 where the fibre uplinks to.

They also have another switch (2620) that carries data and voice which has the voice VLAN'ed, the VLAN traffic is not sent via trunks to any of the other switches listed here.

When you ask  about the interface config what do you mean? vlans? trunks and similar?

I can't get the cisco switch info easily i'll have to back trhough the owner of the router (ISP) to get that info

No errors/collisions on any ports on these switches.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

OK, at least we have a diagram. 

So which switchport on that diagram is showing the large numbers of dropped packets?

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Your diagram should note switchport IDs against the end of each of the links displayed. Also, the port speed or bandwidth.

ssmalley77
Occasional Advisor

I've attached another diagram created by some software its not quite 100%, AP5.1 & 5.2 in this diagram plug into a switch which uplinks to the switch which the level 4 hub switch connects to

anyway another way of drawing what I've already provided

When I look at the management web portal for one of the 1810 there are appear to be no errors and no dropped packets on any switchport.

However when doing the ping tests from any machine plugged into that same switch destined for the switch, router or internet we have requent but intermittant drop packets.  This is what has me stuffed, I was expecting to see errors on the port statistics, but nothing!  This is what makes me think the switch can't handle the volume of packets coming through

ssmalley77
Occasional Advisor

this was done while in a bit of a rush so you'll have to excuse the lack of detail

all links between switches are gigabit (either ethernet or fibre)

the uplink between the 1810 and cisco 877 is a 100mbps ethernet

One thing I did just notice on the 1810 with the uplink to the core wireless switch (level 4 hub) was the interface kept going up and down in the port summary screen...  Hadn't noticed this before but then wasn't specifically looking for it going up and down either since when looking at it, it was usually green.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

That's strange. You might suspect that the switch isn't gathering stats properly.

ssmalley77
Occasional Advisor

I'm suspecting alot of things right now ;-)

I'd just like some direction to head in. 

I have tried putting the uplink from the level4 hub to the other 1810 and even the 2620 but we still see dropped packets from machines.  The users identify this pretty quickly as they use office 365 and outlook 2013 is pretty quick to announce to them that it's lost connectivity

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

If the link to the Cisco switch is 100Mb, and if that were fully utilised, you should see dropped packets on that interface, but you aren't.

Instead, you seem to have identified a flapping link, although that shouldn't be relevant to the PC on the 1810 that is trying to ping...?the 1810 itself?