108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1920 switches VOIP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dunky
Regular Advisor

1920 switches VOIP

I am new to these switches, having previoulsy used Cisco and ProCurves.

I have three issues that are really causing me stress at present as I just cannot get them to work.  Rather than posting all three issues I will keep each post to a single issue.

There are seven 1920-24G-PoE+ switches in the configuration.

This issue is with VOIP.

I need to know how to configure a port for a Splicecom phone with a PC connected to it. Technical info on Splicecom is somewhat scarce in the internet to say the least!

I assume the phone needs to tag its voice packets but how does it kjow it needs to be in VLAN 4 - will it boot untagged and get a DHCP address from the DHCP scope assocaited with the untagged vlan on the port and then use a DHCP optioin to reboot into the correct VLAN and tag voice packets?  If so does anyone know what DHCP option needs to be set and what value?

Does anyone have a config for a voice port (with PC connected via phone) they would be willing to share with me together with any other config needed (trunk ports between switches, do I really need to use the special 'voice' vlan)?

Many thanks

Steve

10 REPLIES 10
16again
Respected Contributor

First, take a look at phone  specs.  There are multiple known methods to make phone use voice vlan:

-DHCP option, like you mentioned
-LLDP
-CDP (cisco only)
-Untagged, NAC based mapping to voice LAN

Dunky
Regular Advisor

I think half the problem is not being able to find any technical info on Splicecom phones (PCS552) anywhere on the web,

I am also unsure how to configure the switchport and if there are any special requirements on the trunks between switches. I have read the manaul but none the wiser as to what the correct switchport config should be which is why ideally I am trying to get hold of a sample config that I can modify and restore to the switch.

I know I will need to add the OUI for Splicecom., but after that I am lost - do I really need to use the 'voice vlan', I dont anticipate any QoS issues.

16again
Respected Contributor

Without documentation of the phone,  can you try connecting with a web browser to the phone. Maybe its config screens reveal supported voice vlan options

Dunky
Regular Advisor

I can Telnet and SSH but dont know the username/password.  Have tried the usual defaults but to no avail.

Dunky
Regular Advisor

Managed to get the phone configured to tag the voice vlan and untag the pc vlan.

Phone now boots up and gets a DHCP address from the correct scope however I cannot get the PC to get a DHCP address.

I can see it sending the DHCP Discover by mirroring the port and using wireshark but this doesnt show VLAN tags.

Have tried various configurations and variations on trunk and hybrid ports.

Has anyone got a config for a phone and connected OPC to both get DHCP addresses where the phone vlan is tagged?

16again
Respected Contributor

Did you configure the switch port as being a trunk port, having Vlan4 tagged and Data Vlan (1?) untagged

Dunky
Regular Advisor

I had to get a reseller to reconfigure the phone as that appears to be the only way of getting it done given that the information isnt publicly available.

The display on the phone says something like CPU:4 PC:1 - I am wondering if this is actually tagging the PC packets as VLAN 1 ?

I can see DHCP packets coming from the PC connected to the phone, but no response from a DHCP server.

Tomorrow I will set up the swicthport to untag vlan 1, create a dhcp scope and see if the PC can get a DHCP address then - if so then its back to the reseller to reconfigure it as untagged!

Im pretty confident that my switchport config is correct,

Dunky
Regular Advisor
Solution

All working !!!!!
If anyone needs the config for an interface on an P1920 switch here it is....

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/15
port link-type trunk
undo port trunk permit vlan 1
port trunk permit vlan n nn (where n nn = voice & data vlan numbers)
port trunk pvid vlan nn (where nn is data vlan, ie PC vlan)
port auto-power-down
poe enable
stp edged-port enable

bsholl

I have a cutomer experiencing very poor IP phone quality. Their network is comprised of a modem connected to the ISP a router then a switch HP1920 connecting to the VoIP phones. I am new to implementing QoS and setting a voice vlan so I need a step by step tutorial create and set the voice vlan for the devices with tagging. Unsure if I should be DSCp or Dot1p. There is only voice traffic on this switch. Do I even need to have a voice vlan? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Bruce