5221 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: disabling spanning tree

ealtug
Occasional Visitor

disabling spanning tree

hi 

last month we have added to our backbone network 2 x 48g 1920 switches for office. Tidied up cabinet nicely

I did configure 2 vlans on them. vlan10 guest wifi, vlan20 office wifi and second office network 

We have additional 3 x 24g 2530 procurve and 1 x 48g 1820 which distributed on manufactoring side of the business. all those hp sws connecting to each other fiber gbics 

recently we have weird issue of some users on vlan20 might be disconnected on network few seconds then came back.  

i have noticed 2 x 1920 have stp enabled. Surely i havent enabled as stp requires a bit design. None of the backbone hp sws stp enabled. I would think default factory condition stp would be disabled 

i am thinking to disable stp on 1920s as well untill i design and implement stp fully on all backbone sws

would disabling stp on those 2 x 1920s cause more harm  on the network ?

2 REPLIES 2
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Hello!

The answer to this question depends on the design of your network. If you have a network without redundant paths, you do not need to enable STP, but if you happen to interconnect the network cable without even changing, you will have a loop.

You can have a free network of loops and with redundant paths used link-aggregation, but the design for this should be planned to avoid loops.

So the answer is: it depends on how your network is and the management / control you have.

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

STP is an excellent thing to have enabled to reduce your risk.

The network hiccups your users are experiencing aren't necessarily caused by STP.

Ideally, configure STP properly across all your switches. It should then sit there doing nothing. If STP actually does stuff, that would indicate you have things on your network to fix.