1753259 Members
5625 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

HP1820 and Port Mirroring vs HP1800

D_Hall
Occasional Visitor

HP1820 and Port Mirroring vs HP1800

I just received a nasty surprise earlier today.    I recently purchaased a 1820 switch to add to a group of 1800s and found that port mirroring apparently does not work the same in the 1820 as it did in the 1800.    With the 1800s you can make the destination port a port with a linux box attached  and then shell into Linux box  and monitor the traffic realtime with tcpdump.    With the 1820 you are apparently locked out of the destinaion so you cannot connect to the Linux box.  Am I just missing something in the way I am configuring the 1820?   Is there away around it?

2 REPLIES 2
D_Hall
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP1820 and Port Mirroring vs HP1800

Apparently there is no solution except to RMA the 1820 tomorrow and do a more careful search of other brands of managed switches.  I am very disappointed, but a lesson learned.  Just because you have been pleased with an older model, do your research as a newer upgraded model does not necessarily mean better or even the same for a given application.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: HP1820 and Port Mirroring vs HP1800

I'm not sure I understand exactly what the problem is, but it sounds like you expect to be able to use a mirror port simultaneously as an ethernet port, which is not something that works on switches I normally use.