Web and Unmanaged
1752806 Members
6723 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE 1920S Switch port dropping keeps dropping to 100M, WHY???

Spudz
Regular Visitor

HPE 1920S Switch port dropping keeps dropping to 100M, WHY???

I have a HPE 1920S 48 port switch that is linked to a netgear unmanaged switch through a single ethernet cable which has 10 cameras connected through it and then on to a DVR through the HP switch. For some reason the port is dropping from 1000M to 100M and all the cameras drop out and everything stops working. If I reset either switch the port comes back up at 1000M and everythign works untill it happens again. 

I have no idea why and cannot seem to find an answer so I'm asking here if someone can point me in the right direction as to why this is happening 

How do I stop port 48 on the HP switch from doing this?

48 Interface changed: [ifSpeed] '1000000000' -> '100000000'; [ifHighSpeed] '1000' -> '100'; [ifLastChange] '2018-12-21 17:25:06' -> '2018-12-21 17:30:04'

db
5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

HPE OfficeConnect 1920S...which software version is running on it? have you checked the Cat. 5E/Cat. 6 Ethernet cable used for uplinking your managed 1920S switch with the unmanaged Netgear (which one? is it Gigabit Ethernet?) switch? have you (Ethernet port related) power savings options enabled somewhere? how is configured your interface 48 with regard to port speed negotiaton and duplex mode?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Spudz
Regular Visitor

I'm running the lastest PD.02.06

And yes others have also pointed at the cable, well not so much the cable itself the termination on both ends would be the first thing to check. Oh and its be running fine at Gigabit for the past 6 years and only started happening in the last few months.

All the power saving modes are off, that was the first thing I checked.

The Physical Mode is set to auto negotiate for all ports on the switch, looking at the available options you only get auto negotiate, half and full duplex for 10Mb and the same for 100Mb but nothing for 1000Mb 

Thanks

db
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Finding the culprit: why do you think the culprit is the HPE OfficeConnect 1920S switch? just because it provides you the evidence that something is not working as you expect (HiSpeed->LowSpeed transition on one port)? isn't possible that the issue you're experiencing is related to the unmanaged switch instead? can you try to exclude it from the equation? are there other illuminating logs (related/unrelated to port 48) HPE OfficeConnect 1920S switch side?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Spudz
Regular Visitor

Re: HPE 1920S Switch port dropping to 100M, WHY???

I never said it was the 1920 switch I said I haven't been able to work out what the problem was and if anyone had any ideas as to where I should start looking then I'm all ears.

I have already tried swapping out the netgear switch and the problem is still there so that kind of rules out the netgear. 

As I said before I'm getting pointed towards the cable termination on either one or both ends as to the first thing to look at.

Thanks for the help

db
Lookash

Re: HPE 1920S Switch port dropping to 100M, WHY???

Hello,

I have the same issue but I cannot force port running 1 Gbps, WEB UI gives me 100 Mbps FD only. 

How to enforce the switch ports to negotiate 1000 Mbps ?

Thanks

Lookash