1753492 Members
4823 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems updating the Switch 3com 4210G 24p

Leandro7685
Occasional Visitor

Problems updating the Switch 3com 4210G 24p

After updating the firmware the switch does not enter the interface and shows an error message when loading the firmware file. Right after this message he enters a screen with 10 options, we downloaded the firmware using the first option on that screen. the switch also shows that the .cfg and .txt files are missing. How can I solve this problem because I need the switch to connect the company floors. Thank you for your cooperation.

3 REPLIES 3
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Re: Problems updating the Switch 3com 4210G 24p

Hello @Leandro7685 !

The screen with 10 options is called bootrom menu or bootware. In order to understand the situation, please clarify the following:

1. What was the initial version of the Comware installed before the  last upgrade attempt?
2. What is the version you are trying to upgrade to? The latest one 2222P11 or older?

Also, please, connect a console cable to the switch, start the terminal program (PuTTY, SecureCRT, etc.), reboot the switch while the console session is active and wait the the bootrom menu to appear. 
The bootrom menu will look like this:

BOOT MENU
1. Download application file to flash
2. Select application file to boot
3. Display all files in flash
4. Delete file from flash
5. Restore to factory default configuration
6. Enter bootrom upgrade menu
7. Skip current configuration file
8. Reserved
9. Set switch startup mode
0. Reboot
Ctrl+F:Format File System
Ctrl+D: Enter Debugging Mode
Ctrl+T: Enter Board Test Environment

Select option 3. Check if you get the list of files on the flash memory.

Copy ALL output of the console session (from the reboot event till the boorom option 3 list) and paste it here as I need to see what is the current situation over there.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Leandro7685
Occasional Visitor

the firmware I installed is the one you mentioned, and the version it
was on was 5120.EI-4210G-4510G_5.20.R2208P. The .cfg and .txt files
are not displayed when using bootrom option 3.
Thank you for your help.
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

I won't be able to help you if you don't follow the instructions in my last message. I don't have any idea what you have done so far and the only way to understand the current state of the switch is to collect the data in a proper way. 

If you don't have time for information collection, then try to resolve the issue by yourself reading the release notes https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00061838en_us , section "Upgrading software from the Boot menu", page 67. Access the bootmenu, delete the .bin file you have already uploaded, re-upload it again, set the file's attribute as Main and reboot. Also, I would consider updating the bootrom itself, in the zip file with s/w you can find .btm file. The bootrom has the option "6. Enter bootrom upgrade menu", enter this menu and use .btm file for update.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo